Living Water

I’m a prickly pear cactus
living in this hot Mojave Desert

They call my home
Death Valley for good reason

Life-giving water is scarce
but I know how to survive

When the rains come
I store up this treasure
deep in my veins

It sustains me when
the inevitable dry days come

I’m a Christian
living in this spiritually dry land

They call my home
earth, a fool’s paradise

Life-giving water is scarce
but I know how to survive

When I hear God’s Word
I store up this treasure
deep in my soul

It sustains me when
the inevitable dry days come

______________________________________

For the Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today, Mish wants us to write poetry inspired by the Southwest, by the desert. I love the desert—the warmth and dryness appeal to me in a way the green and rain of the Pacific Northwest (where I live now) never could.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Living Water

1. Nicely developed metaphor, Linda. I just drove through the Mojave on Sunday. It never fails to entice me…the wild flowers, not as profuse as wetter years, still bring joy. Still thrive even in aridity, as we often are called to do.

2. That is a wonderful metaphor!! His love is like water in a desert!

3. Misky says:

The repetition works wonderfully well in this beautifully written poem, Linda.

4. Patti says:

Excellent metaphor. I especially like the notion of going through life as a prickly pear cactus.

5. lynn__ says:

Powerful, Linda! (BTW – did you intend “by” or “but” I know how to survive?)

• The human brain is a crazy thing. I meant “but.” When I reread it several times I saw “but.” When I read Grace’s comment where she copied and pasted that verse I saw “but.” And this is why writers need editors. 🙂

Great metaphor!

7. Truedessa says:

I think you will be well prepared for those times in the desert…

8. Mish says:

A perfect analogy from start to finish. This is so strong, Linda and has to be one of my favourites of yours so far.

9. jillys2016 says:

Psalm One (used to have it memorized.) Very well done, Linda!!!

10. Bodhirose says:

I enjoyed your comparison to the cactus with the storing up your faith, Linda…lovely.

• The prompt made me think of the verse that talks about the tree planted by the river nor worrying about the drought, but then I had to translate that into desert terms where there is no stream, only intermittent rain. I enjoyed this prompt very much.

11. Sanaa Rizvi says:

That refrain is so powerful! 🙂

I specially like the refrain of:

Life-giving water is scarce
    by I know how to survive ~

Amazing metaphor of faith and hope ~

13. therisa says:

Although, not a Christian, I like your usage of the cactus, as a metaphor, for your faith. A very creative and not, a heavy handed pronouncement of your belief, which I like.

14. whimsygizmo says:

LOVE this, Linda. We’re less than two hours from Death Valley, and it is an area my son adores. I also share your faith, and love how you wove living water into this.

15. lillian says:

A wonderful metaphor for faith – we store up those beliefs and they do indeed sustain in times of trial and tribulation. Grateful for every day.

16. Glenn Buttkus says:

This is a sweet metaphoric triumph, L.–important message without preaching; very effective & creative.

I so enjoy this poem! storing up Living Water for survival the same as a cactus stores up rain. Well done.

18. What a great metaphor for faith.. the storing of water… the storing of words