Traeger Season

Traeger season. My favorite time of year. An entire meal cooked out on the deck either directly on the grill or in aluminum packets makes for quick easy clean-up. The scent of mesquite pellets wafts about the deck. I peel russet potatoes and cube them, spray Pam on a huge piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, spread out the cubes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and seal ‘er up. To make sure they’re crispy on the bottom, they go on the grill first. My favorite part is sitting in the sun snapping the fresh green beans. I add a little lemon juice, salt, and summer savory to this packet and put it on the grill after the potatoes have cooked about twenty minutes. Then last, but certainly not least, the rib eyes, bright red and perfectly marbled with delicious fat. Mmmm. I sprinkle both sides with Traeger Prime Rib Rub, the perfect steak seasoning (in my opinion). Then on the grill they go. I set the timer on the stove so I don’t get sidetracked and over cook them. Time has a way of getting away from me when I’m basking in the sun in my deck chair waiting for dinner.

Savory summer
Season of delightful foods
Sweet tranquility

_________________________________________

For Haibun Monday at dVerse Poets Pub today, Bjorn is hungry and looking for recipes. He wanted us to write about time in the kitchen, but my thoughts immediately went to cooking outside on my Traeger pellet stove. I’ve had a Traeger for years and could never go back to grilling over charcoal or gas. There is just something about that mesquite or hickory smoke that makes the food taste so delicious!

This entry was posted in Poetry, Recipe and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Traeger Season

1. Charley says:

You are just entering the season… we are almost at the end of our outdoor evenings. You describe it well… no, you paint it well.

2. Sabio Lantz says:

I had to look up Traeger Prime Rib Rub, May get it some day.
    Liked the “S”s in the Haiku.

3. Sounds tasty. I confess to not knowing what a Traeger was, but google did. 🙂

4. ZQ says:

5. Delicious sound meal, deliciously written Haibun.

6. Kathy Reed says:

Such a tranquil setting..this made me hungry..the beans 😉
    ..will look for the rub….mmmmmm, savory, indeed!

7. Yum! Ribeye is my favorite. Not familiar with the seasoning, but sounds wonderful.

8. lynn__ says:

Way to grill, girl! My crew would love this outdoor meal 😀

9. Waltermarks says:

Rib eye and taters on the grill, yum! I’ll bet there aren’t any leftovers. You’re making us all hungrier by the minute

10. Jericho says:

I love snapping beans. 🙂

“I add a little lemon juice, salt, and summer savory to this packet” … Yummy. The whole meal sounds so delicious!

I have not tried this one but I can smell the delicious scents of those potatoes and ribs ~ what a lovely time basking in the sun and waiting for dinner ~

12. kim881 says:

Yum! Grilled russet potatoes and fresh green beans sound wonderful. There is something so special about eating al fresco.

13. qbit says:

Great ending Haiku. Pulls it all together really well.

14. Nothing like veggies foil-cooked on a grill. YUM! Now I’m hungry!

15. frankhubeny says:

Well written description. I can see you focused and snapping those green beans in the sun.

16. That sounds amazing! There’s nothing quite like cooking outside.

17. Your recipe sounds delicious and I love the whole ritual of eating and cooking outside :o)

18. Funny we always eat outside in summer but always cook indoors. Sounds delicious though 🙂

19. Oh yes that’s the season… we grilled during the weekend as well.. but it’s not warm enough so I think I would eat inside instead. mmm.