An Odd Kyrielle

After writing my first Kyrielle yesterday, I apparently had Kyrielle rhyme schemes on the brain when I went to bed. Once the lights were out, the first stanza of one with the rhyme scheme in which the refrain does not rhyme started forming in my mind. When I had repeated to myself four or five times I realized it wasn’t going to let me sleep, so I flipped on the light and write it down in the notepad I keep on my nightstand. It’s kind of silly, but silly is good sometimes.

The handwritten version

The handwritten version

I wrote the next two stanzas mostly in the shower this morning. Then when I read it to my son, he wanted to know if the refrain had to end with purple. I said, “I picked purple because it is a word that doesn’t rhyme with anything.” He replied, “You could have used silver. Or orange.” So I decided to mix it up and alter the refrain to include all three of these non-rhyming colors.

An Odd Kyrielle

I think that I shall never see
A Kyrielle as odd as thee
With rhyming lines one, two, and three
And a fourth that ends in purple

I fear that I shall never write
A sonnet with the meter right
But can pen lines poetic, light
And a fourth that ends in silver

I love that I shall ever rhyme
I see with Thee and climb with chime
Ending three lines with words like time
And a fourth that ends in orange

I’ve shared this for Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub. I added the picture of the handwritten version because Bjorn is talking about pictures and poems together. This is the best I’ve got on that score.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to An Odd Kyrielle

1. Sean Michael says:

Ha, ha. Sometimes words come to me and prohibit sleep too. Often times, if I ignore their urging, they will leave me and go some place else.

• Yes, I can sometimes get them to go away, hoping I’ll remember them in the morning, but I never do. That’s why I put the notebook next to my bed, so I don’t lose the good ones.

2. Pingback: Have No Fear | The Fearless Linda Kruschke

You know, Linda, sometimes it is fun to write something a bit different. Your kyrielle made me smile. I like the way your poetry seems to be expanding in so many different directions lately!

4. kaykuala h says:

Can’t get a sonnet’s meter right! One must be familiar with musical score apparently. Kyrielle is more forgiving!

Hank

I knew about orange and purple, but had not realized until I read this that silver is another non-rhyming word. Fun piece!

6. Sabio Lantz says:

BTW, I am sure your streets (referring to your comment on my blog) are the same as yours. People are people.

7. Sabio Lantz says:

Playful (and finally not mushy religious!)
    Fun style and rhyme play.

8. hypercryptical says:

Lovely smiley words!
    Anna :o]

9. Grace Black says:

I am always happy to stumble upon something I hadn’t known before. There are so many poetic forms and discovering new ones is always a treat. Kyrielle is a new one for me, I may have to dabble.

I agree with X in that your end lines being rather random became the constant and even deeper meaning contributing to the whole. Well done. Thank you for sharing!

10. C.J. says:

This is AWESOME. I love the first stanza.

11. Sumana Roy says:

a delightful read and colorful too 🙂

12. annell4 says:

Your Odd Kryielle is a delight! Purple, orange and silver.

13. Truedessa says:

I like the splashes of color mixed in with the rhymes. This was fun to read.

14. Ha! I love this! I tend to get rhythms & rhyming patterns stuck in my head too! I love your son’s suggestion and how you worked it all into this piece. 🙂

15. DELL CLOVER says:

I really enjoyed this!!

16. Dawn V. Cahill says:

Reblogged this on Dawn V. Cahill and commented:
    More light verse–credit to Fearless Linda.

I liked this and I liked how the poem kept nagging at you and you finally had to write it down. Nothing silly about that!!! It happens to me at times as well. Nice rhythm to this and good rhyme. I’ll never write a limerick either, myself. But based on this, I’d think you would write an excellent sonnet.

Nice rhyming verses ~ Hey, you can rhyme alright, smiles ~

19. Aster says:

This is wonderful:
    “And a fourth that ends in purple
    I fear that I shall never write
    A sonnet with the meter right
    But can pen lines poetic, light”

20. Oh Goodness.. the science of poetry
    can become so complex
    i forget to write..
    forget the rules
    and never learn them..
    for me is lucky as rules are my thing
    so much
    of life in ruling it..
    but anyway.. instructions can be fun…:)

21. ihatepoetry says:

Great – big smile here.

22. Your kyrielle does what I was taught to do, to play with the form, and your methodology describes the process which often leads to me writing a poem. Bravo.

23. Love that you used those non-rhyming colors..they added just the right imagery for me..and sometimes we have to write about the writing itself.

24. X says:

Ha. I happen to love your end lines. Having little to do with anything, they become the everything. I doubt I will ever write a real sonnet either – way too much constraint for my favor.

• shadowleavesonlakeann says:

Nice to read different poetic forms and then to enjoy them! Great job and loved the verse
      about writing! Thank you for sharing your writing notes too!