We Should Have Named Him Trouble – A Character Poem

The MeetingTheBar prompt over at dVerse Poets Pub today was to write a character sketch, or include a character sketch, in a poem. Because our new kitten is at the vet today getting neutered he is on my mind, so I decided to write about him.

We Should Have Named Him Trouble

Alucard the seven pound kitten
His size I suspect will double

With him we are quite smitten
Though his middle name is Trouble

Slinking along almost flat
Preparing for an ambush

For stealth he has a knack
Until he wiggles his little tush

Yet so very sweet he can be
This funny little feline

Great love he gives for free
He’ll sleep in your lap or mine

Like a motor boat heard from afar
His purring announces his arrival

He sits up high as though he were czar
For his shoulder perch there is no rival

Like a panther sleek and black
He has the heart of a rebel

One day he’ll be a lazy old cat
But for now the mischief’s treble

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to We Should Have Named Him Trouble – A Character Poem

1. Wonderful poem! I had such a cat when I was a teen. Called him, Nashville. He was a crazy cool cat!

2. I had a cat called Albert who used to pee in my handbag if I left it open. He grew out of it after being threatened with expulsion to the unwanted cats home . Cats are very smart. They add a dimension to ones life which is priceless. I had him for 15 years and he has left a gap in my heart which will never filled.

3. rmp says:

some cats really do have knack for getting into trouble. I imagine he’ll grow out of it, but never quite completely. Nice piece.

4. lucychili says:

i had a puppy that chewed through car seatbelts and dug the garden out and she grew up and turned out to be a very special friend.

5. Good one Linda, I liked the lovely references to the young and the potentially older sat. Well done.

6. Trouble would be a great name for a cat.. You cat him very well 😉

7. OH he sounds adorable – you didn’t say he chewed the corners of doors, ripped up your leather couch, puked hairballs on your favorite pillow. or howled at the door to come in, or go out. No he sounds a model cat to me.

• Well, he did chew the spine of my favorite Bible, broke an angel figurine and ceramic container (that I’d had for 30 years) in one jump off the dresser, and has ruined two pairs of my son’s headphone cords. But yes, other than that, a model cat. 😉 Peace, Linda

8. lupitatucker says:

Very well written and fun write 🙂

9. vbholmes says:

It sounds as if you had an inkling of your kitten’s personality when you named him Alucard–“Trouble” sounds mild in comparison. However, the big purrbox and penchant for sleeping in laps makes up for a lot.

• The name Alucard was chosen by my son, who is a huge anime fan (and future animator :)). But yeah, we could have guessed even before we brough him home that he was going to be a handful. But he is sweet, too. Peace, Linda

10. A great idea to write about your new cat – I hope the vet’s visit went well. A lovely characterisation 🙂

11. Brian Miller says:

ha. he sounds a bit like my cat…he is sleeping on the couch right now…but he has a bit of a trouble streak in him as well…and he will prowl and sneak up on you in a heart beat…lol…

12. scrbwly says:

Well done. Reminds me many cats I’ve known. Hope you keep t birds away.

• Thanks. He has a very different personality from the cat we used to have. I hope he fails in his efforts to catch birds once we let him outside, too, but I don’t have high hopes for that. Peace, Linda

13. sounds like a great little character of a kitten…they are so worth whatever trouble they get into.

14. shanyns says:

I am sitting here, with a warm and purring kitten (Po) sitting on my lap while her mama, Spooky, watches birds through the blinds. LOVE the character you drew for us of your feline trouble maker! Well done. And that is one big cat!

• He seemed so little when we got him, but with a 10-inch tail at 5 months old I fear small is not what he is going to stay. 🙂 Thanks for sharing about your little kitten and mama, too. Peace, Linda

oh, so brilliant. You captured the mischievous nature of a kitten perfectly!