Savior, then Lord – A Sedoka of Sorts

While I was taking a break from blogging I missed a number of Form For All lessons at dVerse Poets Pub, so I decided yesterday to go check out the lessons I had missed to see if there was a new poetry form I could try. Sam Peralta—one of my favorite dVerse teachers—offered a lesson on the Japanese poetry form called the sedoka that consists of two tercets with lines of 5, 7, and 7 syllables each. Sam wrote, “The poem’s two verses usually provide two perspectives on the theme, with a sharp division after the third line, and a soft turn after line five, before the conclusion.” I decided to give it a try with one of my favorite themes.

Savior, then Lord

He died on the cross
Saving the souls of mankind
A free gift of salvation

We accept His gift
But this is not quite enough
For true change He must be Lord

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Savior, then Lord – A Sedoka of Sorts

1. Waltermarks says:

Thanks for true words put to verse, no better sedoka could be written.

2. Tracy says:

thank you for your sedokas… well done.

3. Debbie says:

Thanks not only for the great sedoka, but also for sharing what one is! God bless you as you keep turned to Him!

4. shanyns says:

Amen! Amen! Thanks for this.

5. Beautifully done Linda–

6. kelvin s.m. says:

…wonderful sedokas so passionately & carefully conceived… well done… smiles…

7. brian miller says:

true that…there is submission, which goes even further than obedience…smiles….nice sedoka

8. Jasmine Cerys Ruby says:

I love this. I remember learning about sedokas in school and thinking they were pretty cool. Might have to try one myself 🙂