Jerusalem

The Poetics prompt over at dVerse Poets Pub today is to write about a city or cities. I tried to think of something to write about my own city or about trips I’ve made to other big cities, like New York or San Francisco. But my mind wouldn’t stay there. I kept coming back to Jerusalem—a city I’ve never been to but would love to visit some day. A friend was recently there and her pictures on Facebook made me want to go all the more.

Jerusalem

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
City where my Savior died
I pray you find His peace

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
Ancient city from of old
I pray God’s blessing on you

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
A city exiled to Babylon
I pray your safe return

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
The city with many enemies
I pray protection for your people

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
A new city you’ll one day be
I pray the Lord’s return

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Jerusalem

1. zongrik says:

Jerusalem will never really be new

popsicle on a stick

• Revelation 3:12 says otherwise, “The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.” I know you don’t believe that, but I do. Peace, Linda

2. I can feel the love and longing in this poem. Love the repeated “Jerusalem”‘s.

3. Amen to this, Linda. I just wove my way through the prophets–so much lament for Jerusalem that continues through to this day.

4. Glenn Buttkus says:

Such vivid contrasts in the holiest of cities, where great religions claim tenure, ownership, dominion; where blood flows, where souls grow in stature, yes, the Holy Land; a place of dreams for most of us.

5. Prajakta says:

One day! I will visit. And it is inspiring how you have brought it to life even though you have never been there!

6. Jerusalem – a fascinating place.. So much history.. So important for so many. I have never been there.. But with the right occasion I would love to go there.

7. Gabriella says:

Jerusalem is certainly a place of many contrasts and numerous religions. A Holy City for many but also a place of contention, despite its name. We can indeed pray for Jerusalem.

8. I’d love to visit there… Photos alone are a fountain of inspiration, just imagine actually being there. A beautiful place and beautiful write…

9. wolfsrosebud says:

we are asked to pray…

10. brian miller says:

it would be cool to walk the holy land…though I wonder if would look much like what we would believe….

A city that I would love to someday see too! (I may have to wait, though, for the New Jerusalem).