First Things First – A Poem

This poem was born of the realization (or more appropriately, a reminder) that I do not have it within myself to love or to live in peace apart from my Savior. I don’t know how to be gentle or faithful without His Holy Spirit to give me what it takes to exhibit those qualities. “We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 (NIV).

First Things First

or live a life
of faithfulness

First I must know
the faithful One
God’s own Holy
redeeming Son

Submitted for Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub! I was #5! Head on over and read some more poetry.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to First Things First – A Poem

1. Caty says:

a lovely piece! 🙂

2. madhumakhi says:

A poem of touching simplicity and resonating truth. Really good one.

3. ~L says:

tears. I can’t even explain what these words have spoken to my heart!

it was a beautiful poem… but so much more

~L

4. Chazzy Chazz says:

The bring to light in such clarity the source of love and peace. The straightforwardness of your vision makes the words that much more sincere and authentic.

5. Debbie says:

Loving all the responses here! 🙂 And the poem is just perfect. You blessed me today, with it Linda, as it helps me remember that those that don’t know Him and what Love is, have a harder time showing love to others.
    God bless you and keep you in His tender care today!
    love and prayers!

• Deb, Not bad for a poem that I wrote in the shower! You make a good point about remembering how much harder it is for those who don’t know Jesus to show love to others, especially the unloveable. Thank you for your prayers. Peace, Linda

6. Ann says:

Thanks Linda
    Putting “first things first” means we don’t have to have ‘do-overs’. How cool is that?
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Blessings
    ann

7. bajanpoet says:

Lovely, simple – important reminder for all – especially me! 🙂

8. Caddo Veil says:

This is SO wonderful–just the reminder I needed to day, Linda–thanks bunches!! Hope you’re feeling better today–sending love and hugs and continued prayers.

9. Uneven Stephen says:

Great message. Reminds me of the saying that one must clean up their own heart before it may become a temple.

10. brian miller says:

true that…in order to give love we must first feel and understand love…all too often we try to pass off our own inadequacies as it though

11. brian miller says:

true that…you have to know love to give it…sadly we often know hate far more and try to pass it off as love…

12. I liked the simplicity and the message of this very much.

13. The Linnet says:

A beautifully written poem.

14. I am with Claudia–we cannot love if we have never known love–beautifully stated within your piece—

@AudreyHowitt

15. yes… faith travels beyond all that seems to be in our way! lovely poem 🙂

16. claudia says:

what i love in this is that we first have to receive from him before we can give…many try from their own strength…and are soon powered out..thanks for the reminder..