Thoughts on Prayer

Prayer flies heaven-circling like hawk swirling on a thermal wave

Prayer settles cross-laden dreams deep in the heart and soul

Prayer floats water-spoken currents of faith in the Creator

Prayer praises ocean-breached majesty of desert deliverance

Prayer drowns tear-culled pain finding hope in the smile of a child

Prayer creeps into intellect-hid recesses of past and present

Prayer reverberates across the galaxy as a bell-voiced plea for the miraculous

Prayer feeds bread-starved stomachs of the tent-dwellers of tomorrow

Prayer silently offers dust-tongued intercession for desperate tragedy

Prayer heals calamity-scarred lives dying to leap from cliffs of loss

___________________________

Today’s poem is a list poem suggested by the prompt at NaPoWriMo.net. I have also included five hyphenated words (the italicized ones) coined by Dylan Thomas for the Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub. I added some hyphenated words of my own.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Thoughts on Prayer

1. A beautiful and sublime praise of prayer! Wonderfully written!

2. merrildsmith says:

A nice compilation using both prompts. I liked bell-voiced plea.

3. ShirleyB says:

‘Prayer feeds bread-starved stomachs of the tent-dwellers of tomorrow’
    A very deep and thoughtful line.

4. I can feel the strength in prayers… really strong.

5. This is lovely Linda. There is comfort in prayer.

6. ah. amen. amen to this. the opening image is so powerful: Prayer flies heaven-circling like hawk swirling on a thermal wave

7. Truedessa says:

This was my favorite part. Water is healing in many ways…

Prayer floats water-spoken currents of faith in the Creator

I believe in the power of prayers. I specially like this part:

Prayer silently offers dust-tongued intercession for desperate tragedy

9. Love this! It’s beautiful! ❤

10. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the last line’s description of prayer healing calamity-scarred lives.

11. Glenn Buttkus says:

Flawless use of the poem for both prompts. I love me some list poems. You weaved in the compound words seamlessly, and they became natural extensions of your message.

12. kim881 says:

You’ve used repetition and compound words to great effect in this prayer-poem, Linda. I especially like the lines:
    ‘Prayer flies heaven-circling like hawk swirling on a thermal wave’
    and
    ‘Prayer drowns tear-culled pain finding hope in the smile of a child’.

13. Jade Li says:

I like the format of your poem. This line really got to me: “Prayer silently offers dust-tongued intercession for desperate tragedy”

14. Beautiful lines to prayer – like rosary beads – your poem reminds me of the beatitudes – great use of the word compounds especially loved
    “Prayer floats water-spoken currents of faith in the Creator”

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )