Lulled by Pride

Lulled by promises of reward
for all my good deeds
Satan seeks to get me onboard
by planting seeds of pride

‘Til I was startled awake
by the truth of my great need
for a substitute to earn my prize
by His loving sacrifice

_________________________

It’s time for Quadrille Monday #2 at dVerse Poets Pub. Even on a busy day I can come up with 44 words to share. The only parameter (besides the word count) is that the poem must include the word “lull.”

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Lulled by Pride

1. God sMiLes when we serve
    God.. when we don’t..
    the smile fades
    just a little..
    iN our
    eYes..
    of potential
    Balance now..:)

2. lynn__ says:

We need to be startled to see our own pride…it is a dangerous hinderance to faith!

3. A humble write. We are not here to count our good deeds….only to do them.

4. Align oneself with His will. Beautiful!

5. Misky says:

An true lesson.

6. Sumana Roy says:

brilliant use of the word ‘lull’…yeah, a constant battle with ego…sigh…

7. Bodhirose says:

Pride has been the downfall of many…important message here, Linda.

8. ShirleyB says:

A moment of insight eloquently conveyed in this well-formed verse.

9. Glenn Buttkus says:

Pride & ego, yes the devil’s implants; terrific message squeezed into a good Q44.

10. lillian says:

Wow! Different take on the word “lull” and very very effective! We can be lulled by so many things in today’s crazy world. Very well done!

11. to earn my prize
    by His loving sacrifice

One can never be blessed better than Providence’s blessings! Great lines Linda!

Hank

12. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

You make a good point.

A meaningful share Linda ~ We must not be easily deceived by such promises ~

Oh, that Satan is a tricky one!! He usually waits for just the right moment.

Liked by 2 people

15. Pride blinds. Ya can’t earn it – that’s the lesson.

16. Candy says:

your title speaks volumes

17. Shawna says:

This is excellent, Linda. Such a great message.

18. It is so easy to be lulled into temptation when we are too self-confident.

19. I think whenever we do good things for the rewards we have missed the whole point…mostly we do good for our own sake…. alas

Liked by 2 people