Campfire Memory

Curled up next to you
in our two-seater camp chair
staring into the campfire
warmed by fire and you

We watched long-legged spiders
sidle up to the edge of the fire ring
trying to get warm, too

Meanwhile the dogs slept in the tent

__________________________________________

It’s Quadrille Monday at dVerse Poets Pub where De is calling for our 44-word poems that include some form of the word fire. I’m not really a fan of campfires because I tend to end up with the smoke in my face, but the prompt reminded me of a camping trip my husband and I went on early in our marriage, back when we only had dogs.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Campfire Memory

1. The dogs didn’t know what they were missing.

2. Mish says:

Spiders trying to stay warm, joining in with campfire…that is a great image.

3. Warm and cozy! Watch out for those campfire stones though, as black widows like to share in the heat.

4. I remember many cozy campfires myself, as a child surrounded by singing family members. We don’t camp anymore, but the memories still warm my heart and make me smile. Thanks for reminding me. ❤

This made me smile…the two snuggling by the fire, the spiders wanting to get warm and the dogs in the tent!

6. Vivian Zems says:

I’m snuggling up to this warm poem. Meanwhile.. the dog seems a smart one..no bugs to bother him 🙂

7. long legged spiders – hmm. I’d be in the tent with the dogs!

8. campfire with loved ones – what else do we need 🙂

9. I have done some camping. Not my choice. Although some good memories, those days are behind us, I hope. Love the picture of the bears!

10. Frank Hubeny says:

I like those spiders trying to get warm as well.

11. I somehow can’t imagine dogs being much interested in long-legged spiders and staring into the flames 🙂

12. kim881 says:

Your poem made me smile, Linda – especially the thought of the dogs in the tent!

13. sanaarizvi says:

Ooh that’s just delightful! 😊 Keep away from spiders though 💖

14. whimsygizmo says:

Heehee. Hope those spiders don’t get too close! 😉

15. Nothing beats to be at a camp-fire with someone dear…. I would love to do that too.

16. jillys2016 says:

Intriguing juxtaposition between the lovers, the spiders, and the dogs!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )