Dying Leaves

Green leaves burst forth
heralding spring, summer to come
Basking in sun amidst blooms
bright pink, yellow, orange

Magnificent beauty
Abundant life

It never lasts long enough
Tears fall as blooms fade
Leaves turn red, then brown
Crisply dying on the ground
Winter follows

___________________________________

For Quadrille Monday at dVerse Poets Pub De Jackson is tending bar. She’s calling for poems that include the word leaves “in honor of the season many of us crave.” As you might be able to tell from my poem, I am not among that “many.” I am not even close to ready for summer to be over. Not even close.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Dying Leaves

1. But if we didn’t have winter we wouldn’t enjoy Spring so much!

2. lynn__ says:

Each year the seasons seem to pass faster…with abundant life!

3. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Beautifully structured.

4. It does precede winter, but in a grand manner, Linda! And agreed winter never leaves on schedule!

5. Mish says:

I can relate, Linda. As much I love Fall, it is a quick intro to Winter, which is not quite as much fun up here either.

6. lillian says:

beautiful imagery of the seasons. I see and feel those leaves bursting in color, then curling on edges in their slow dying…Well written!

Love how your leaves mark the passage of time …from freshly budded to crisp fallen.

8. Loved your poem Linda. Encompassing all the seasons.

9. SMiLes..
    Leaves oF
    brOwn
    Fertilize
    R
    Green..:)

10. Lovely descriptions. If only we could skip winter and go right into spring after fall. 🙂

I love autumn as you well know. To me,except for summer, i find beauty in all the seasons but I can see how it would make you sad.

12. Linda, this is oh so beautiful and tender. Especially the line ‘tears fall as blooms fade’ leave such a lasting impact. Beautifully penned.

13. This speaks so well to the fleeting nature of all we want to hold on to.

14. Truedessa says:

You have captured the changing seasons. I like the beauty and color of fall, but I know winter follows and that does not bring me joy!

15. whimsygizmo says:

Linda, this is beautiful, and so evocative. I feel your fall funk here. It helps, for us, that winter here in Southern Nevada is one of our nicest seasons. That makes fall the gateway to beauty, and relief from our 100+ degree heat.

16. kim881 says:

Autumn is a sad season, even for those of us who enjoy it. It’s the end of the summer and winter is around the corner – but spring and summer always come around. That’s the beauty of nature. I love the way your poem starts by bursting forth, with the sunshine and colourful flowers, and then has such a sad coda that leaves (oh dear, that word again!) no doubt about your feelings.

17. Mostly every season has it’s own beauty but they always leave me too fast… truly wonderful…