Breaking the Rules

It’s not about mercy
if your destination is Alcatraz

It’s not about rehabilitation
if you’ve ended up here on the Rock

Don’t plan to escape
if you try the dig, dash, and dive
you won’t be eating shark dinner
in San Fran by nightfall

You’ll be shark dinner

Best to avoid breaking the rules

________________________________

For the Poetics Prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today, Mish wants us to write a poem inspired by a sign. I chose the sign we saw while waiting in line to go on a tour of Alcatraz in San Francisco a couple of years ago. I’m glad I never had to spend hard time in a cell like the one below. Not that I’ve always followed the rules, but I never broke the ones that would land you here.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Breaking the Rules

1. sanaarizvi says:

I would be scared to break the rules.. a thought provoking write.

2. lillian says:

I’ve done that tour. I found it absolutely amazing to think back to the old movie “Bird Man of Alcatraz” with Burt Lancaster and to think that someone could be that positive in that god-forsaken place. When we were there, there were still “signs” from the American Indian protest that had occurred on the island.

3. Mish says:

Nice one, Linda. The cold, hard truth with a sprinkle of humor.

4. Waltermarks says:

They used to say,” Three hots (meals), and a cot. The most accommodating place on earth, no, not for me.

5. annell4 says:

Sounds like someplace we don’t want to go! And something we don’t want to be>

I will be scared to break the rules there! I like your sign and photo Linda ~

7. Sumana Roy says:

Uh oh…I don’t want to end up as shark dinner 🙂

8. i doubt I would be breaking the rules in prison… on the other hand I find it hard to think I would ever end up in prison in the first place.

9. frankhubeny says:

Good advice about avoiding those sharks. Nice sign for this prompt.

10. livesinstone says:

“You’ll be shark dinner” Heh heh. Awesome. 🙂

11. Something to think about. Thanks for sharing!