Mama Bear

The mama grizzly
languishes lazily beneath
the old pine tree
observing her three cubs
frolic and play in the sunshine

At first glance
she appears unconcerned
almost docile

But make no mistake
if one should threaten
the safety of her dear cubs
her fervent concern
will quickly arise
signaling the interlopers
sure demise

__________________________

Tomorrow is the beginning of NaPoWriMo, a 30-day challenge to write a poem every day. Last Sunday I finished my personal challenge to write 40 poems for Lent—I actually wrote 45. So 30 poems in 30 days seems quite doable. I wrote this poem yesterday with the thought of saving it for day 1 of NaPoWriMo, but I decided to post it today along with this call for any poets who are reading here today to join me in this quest. Go to the NaPoWriMo site and register your blog, check out their prompts, or find your inspiration wherever you can—then write, write, write!

I’m also planning to submit this for Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub later today.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Mama Bear

1. SMiLes..
    true power
    oF Nurture
    iS iN
    Love..:)

“Languishes lazily” is a wonderful way of describing that mother bear. Those two words are slow to say, so they emphasize the laziness…but I’ll take your warning and not be fooled!

3. Anna says:

Yes, I met a mama grizzly once in Yellowstone! It must give the cubs a real sense of security to have such a loving, powerful protector.

4. True. I get my Mama Bear on from time to time, no doubt! I really enjoyed this, Linda.

5. What a challenge but I love the mama bear.So true!

6. Sumana Roy says:

aww…the mothers!!…beautiful…

7. Ayala says:

Just right! Nicely done.

Mama bear is a mother at heart, always protective of her cubs ~ Good luck with the writing for April ~

9. Misky says:

One should never mess about with a mother!

10. MarinaSofia says:

Wiser not to mess with those mothers, human and bear! You have been busy, haven’t you? Good luck with your new challenge!

11. annell4 says:

That sounds just right!

12. lillian says:

Ah, Mama Grizzly — rolls around, nudges cubs….but as you say, she can earn her name if anyone threatens her offspring! hmmmm are we that different???
    See you at NaPoWriMo!

13. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Excellent write 🙂 Wishing you the best with NaPoWriMo.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

Ah, Mama Grizzly is not unlike Mama Human! When the child is threatened the mother comes to his/her defense. It seems to be the nature of mothers whatever kind! Good luck with NaPoWriMo!