My Dog in the Sunlight

The challenge over at dVerse Poets Pub today is to write a poem in the style of the impressionist painters, with broad brush strokes to quickly capture the fleeting mood of the moment. I immediately thought of one of my favorite things.

My Dog in the Sunlight

Lazily he flops in a pool of sunlight
upon the summer warm deck
black fur soaking up the warmth,
the heat of a day to be captured
in his little dog mind and soul

White hairs peppered throughout his fur
almost sparkle in rays of the sun
but not quite, give him a gray hue
at just the right angle
like an old dog, though the white hairs
have been there for years

He sighs, his cute little dog sigh
basking in my presence,
staying only as long as I do

If I rise for a drink of water
or to answer a ringing phone
the moment is gone as quickly as it began
and the sunlight must be content
to warm only the deck

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to My Dog in the Sunlight

1. Pingback: Bette, My Sweet Pea | Another Fearless Year

2. zongrik says:

since i love dogs so much, i can feel each word in this and know how much you love him

foam

3. Emily says:

Awwww, nicely done. ((Scritches for the pupperdoo.))

4. Margaret says:

Awe… the sunlight even enjoys the moment of content between man and dog. 🙂

5. well done, Linda–you captured him. Really enjoyed this.

6. Ravenblack says:

Very beautiful portrait of a loyal dog and friend. Such companions does one so much good. Thank you for sharing this.

7. Debbie says:

Aub’s little cat does that, Linda, inside the house. She’s blind, but finds those warm sun places. Wonderfully painted poem! God bless you and yours and your sweet pup!

8. Susan says:

“the moment is gone as quickly as it began
    and the sunlight must be content
    to warm only the deck’

Nice and surprising end touch that the sun also seeks out the dog! Old friends are the best friends!

9. Mama Zen says:

Excellent write. My dog does the same thing!

10. shanyns says:

Love this moment, have it daily with our dogs as well, so well written!

11. Hey! were you on my back deck! I see this scene daily, though my dog IS old–very old. It brings a tear to my eye to see her plop down in the sun and soak the warmth from it into her creaky old bones.
    Wonderful poem, Linda!

• My dog is only 7 and so I refuse to think of him as old yet. I had a cocker spaniel once that lived to 18 and I’m hoping for the same from my little black cockapoo. 🙂 Peace, Linda

12. Louise says:

Very sweet…lovely poem 🙂

13. Much the same as my cat in the sun… I could see him basking there.

14. Yes, my little Westie will bask in the sun as long as she can see/hear me in the kitchen

15. Laurie Kolp says:

Precious!

16. Awww…I have a little 10 pound Yorkie whom I just love to bits too. He’s finding it hard to stay cool in the heat this past week. Keep trying to get him to lay on the floor where it’s cooler but, he insists on laying beside me on the couch.
    Loved this. 🙂

17. Jerry says:

the contentment of sunlight…I’ll ponder that. Nice painting!

What is it about dogs and basking in the sun? Mine move around the house looking for the sun, even on the hottest days. Interesting that your dog basks in the sun only in your presence..mine bask whether I am near or not. I can picture him..black with those white hairs, giving him a grey look in the sun. Nice!

19. brian miller says:

smiles…you paint a beautiful pup…with enough detail to let me in on the moment and listen to him there panting and soaking it in….i bet he is content…

20. Claudia says:

nice…you really painted with your words and made me see him… a fleeting moment that just feels warm and satisfying..like looking at a good painting