Promise of Hope

copyright kanzensakura all rights reserved. Used with permission.

copyright kanzensakura all rights reserved. Used with permission.

For the dVerse Poets Pub Haibun Monday prompt today, Toni (aka kanzensakura) has asked us to write a haibun inspired by this photo of hers. Check out the prompt for a description of a haibun and to find the link to a lot of great haibuns that will be posted throughout the week. Here’s mine.

____________________________

I awaken to an unexpected blanket of white outside my window. It’s beautiful, with flakes still falling, floating really, to the ground. I should relish the beauty, but I can’t because I know it will soon turn to ice. It always does around here. As a result church is cancelled, school is cancelled, work is delayed, and Bible study is cancelled. I stare out at the bleak beauty and spy a small pink bunch of flowers blooming. They weren’t expecting the snow either. In them I see a greater beauty, a hope and promise of spring to come.

God eternally
promises a return
of life after death

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Promise of Hope

1. I tend to think nature is God’s best teaching tool! 🙂

2. lillian says:

Ah, the unexpected snow. Here in Boston, we had unseasonably warm weather for so long that trees were indeed blossoming….and now they’re caught in the cold. I do like how the haiku brings us back to the hope of spring and new life…….that recurrence and the positive promise.

3. This is a lovely musing and I love the haiku

4. I could picture you standing there, contemplating the flowers. Well written.

5. You lift yourself and consequently your reader, out of the dejection by offering that hope of better times!

6. I like the use of contrast in this poem. How cancelling all religion related events, do not cancel the hope a single flower brings in the middle of winter.

7. MarinaSofia says:

I like how your mood brightens a little at the glimpse of those unexpected blooms. As for treacherous ice – my mother slipped on it a few days ago and banged her head, so I completely understand your dismay!

8. As we get older snow seems to loose some of its magic.

9. lynn__ says:

Ice is NOT nice…we’ve had some on our roads too. But spring will come!

10. Bodhirose says:

From my years living in the Boston area, I know that ice is treacherous. People need to keep safe! I hope your balmy weather continues. 🙂

Good message in this really. Despite the weather God’s door is never closed! And his promises will come to pass!

12. Glenn Buttkus says:

Black ice, car wrecks, falls with broken bones, hyperthermia, 3 hour commutes, all too much to pay for a few minutes of aesthetic appreciation. nice job on the prompt.

13. Beautiful – you capture the breadth of the subject and our senses remember all of it as we read you.

Its all snow here plus the bitter wind, yikes ~ But seeing those blooms will surely lift up my spirits too ~

15. Suzanne says:

I hope your winter isn’t as grim as you fearing. Ice does sound terrible though. Over here in Australia I have no experience of it but your haibun really makes me aware of the danger.

16. Nature offers so many metaphors for our life with God and you have exploited this one so well.

17. SMiLes My
    friend..
    greaTest Love..

God’s
    gift
    NOW..:)

18. There is a hope in that bloom… there is such beauty and spring will come… here a little ice will not stop anything… we just go on as usual.. 🙂

Wonderful write on this and how you interpreted the photo. After a long cold sleep, we truly do rise to bloom again. Thank you.

• We just had our first (and hopefully last for the winter) snow last week, so the memory was fresh and ready for the prompt. 🙂

• kanzensakura says:

Lucky you! We just finally got some cold weather this week. I hope it is here to stay a bit as our spring bulbs need the cold weather for their blooming process. And yes, a snow would be wonderful!

• No, you don’t understand, it was terrible! We had only a few hours of nice snow, and then we had freezing rain and sheets of ice everywhere. So glad it is over and hope we don’t have any more. 😉

• kanzensakura says:

Your are right. Ice is terrible and dangerous. Glad you came through it okay.