Alive and Well

A puff wafts from the doorway of the old building
I scrunch up my nose at the scent, shake my head in disgust
or anger perhaps is a more accurate description of my feeling

I don’t smell it often in these days of indoor smoking bans
Mostly when walking downtown, past old buildings
on my way somewhere that will be smoke free

Today that scent reminds me of them, but it’s not the good memories
It’s the memory of what killed them, their obsession with Old Gold
bare-butt cigarettes, in the house, the car, the trailer out camping

I prefer the scent of eucalyptus and fresh garden dill
that remind me of better days when they were alive and well
at least as well as two chain-smokers could be

That foul scent also reminds me of embarrassment
at being accused of smoking myself by a 7th grade P.E. teacher
because the stench of their smoke was inescapable for me

I glance into the doorway at the young woman smoking
I want to scream at her, tell her how stupid she is
I want to ask her if she wants to die before her grandkids are born

But I don’t, I simply move on, away from the smell
and consciously shift my focus to memories of better days
when they were still alive and well

__________________________________________

The first prompt of the year at dVerse Poets Pub is to write about a scent or scents that evoke memories. This is the first thing that came to mind yesterday. I tried to come up with something else because I didn’t want my first post of the year to be such a downer. But alas, sometimes we simply must write down what’s already written in the mind.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Alive and Well

1. Ava Hypatia says:

Anger, scent and condemnation. Thank you for combining them for this powerful personal creation.

2. Sabio Lantz says:

As an ex-smoker, I am disgusted by the smell too.
    Well, except for clove cigarettes, then I want to embrace the darkness again.
    Well penned.

3. Sanaa Rizvi says:

I agree, the smell of smoke is truly unpleasant. Great response to the prompt! Wishing you a bright & joyous new year 😀

4. This poem resonates with me like no other. Many many young people in France smoke and I long to point out my ruined heart and arteries due to the years when I too was a smoker. Nearly 30 years on, I relish the absence of smoke stink in cars and public buildings, being able to see the screen in the cinema without the fog of smoke.

5. I really have increased my sensitivity to smoke… I still remember how my clothes used to smell after a night out… now I cannot even pass a smoker in the street without feeling disgust…

I also hate the shell of cigarettes, but am thankful that song is banged in public places here.

7. Bodhirose says:

I must admit that I do wonder how people in this day and age can still smoke knowing what it can do to you. I too grew up around smokers although both parents did eventually give it up. But my grandfather smoked, uncles, aunts and even boyfriends. Now, I have no tolerance for the smell.

8. rosross says:

Some people have a more heightened sense of smell I am sure but also what we believe influences that sense. I like the smell of cigarettes. I was an occasional smoker for some years but have not bothered much in the past decade although every couple of years I might ‘bot’ one and still enjoy it.

Some people can smoke and not suffer healthwise. I know many people who have poor health who have never smoked and many who have always smoked in good health. One took up long-distance walking, across countries, in her Sixties!

It really is about moderation and what works for your body. I have lived enough decades to know that smoking per se: does not lead to poor health. The biggest issue is really the quality of the cigarette, i.e. the chemicals it contains. Tobacco is a herb. And if you look at countries and regions with the best longevity they are all countries with high smoking levels, Japan being a classic example.

So, I am not encouraging smoking, just saying, it is perspective at the end of the day and condemning others for smoking is projection. 🙂

Can’t stand the smell of this & I would rather stay away too~ More and more its an addiction and I am happy to see that there’s less ads for it and more people being health conscious ~ Happy New Year Linda ~

10. kelly says:

Even though your subject was serious you did a fabulous job with the prompt… Pulling out memories evoked by that smell. My sons both smoke though I never have and it breaks my heart. A very heartfelt poem.

11. lynn__ says:

i remember riding home on college break with a chain smoker…sore throat and watery eyes, choking on the miles. But i admit i liked the smell of my grandpa’s pipe (although he later suffered stomach cancer).

12. SMiLes.. my friend..
    smoke and second
    hand smoke can be
    the terror that keeps giving
    too.. for me.. two decades working
    in a Military Bowling Center with
    literally hundreds of folks lit
    up every day..