Daddy Isn’t Here

Daddy isn’t here anymore
He left this world before my son was born
Yet I see him each day in the heart of my son
The length of his arms and the smile I adore

We didn’t follow Daddy to the church
When he was gone no one read God’s Word
We didn’t sing his favorite hymn
Or even lay him in the ground

The Coast Guard poured him into the sea
There’s no grave to visit for you and me
Just memories of his loving ways
Stories to tell that keep him alive in our hearts

The mad money he sent to my college mailbox
The times he rescued his four daughters from car troubles
The smile on his face when he saw me baptized
Memories of when we sometimes didn’t agree

Daddy isn’t here anymore
He’ll never come again and knock on my door
But one day we’ll see him again, waiting at God’s door
Until that day we’ll miss him, you and I

* * * * *

The Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub yesterday was to write about someone or something we miss. I immediately thought of my dad. I’ve been missing him especially lately as I’ve been listening to (and went to the concert of) Chris Stapleton who sings a song called “Daddy Doesn’t Pray Anymore.” I can’t hear that song without crying and missing my dad. Parts of this poem are inspired by that song as well as conversations I had with my oldest sister this past week.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Daddy Isn’t Here

1. lynn__ says:

Your precious poem is both heart-rending and heart-warming, Linda. Peace to YOU!

2. MarinaSofia says:

Time only covers the pain with a light bandage, but the wound underneath never quite goes away. It’s wonderful though that you find bits of your Dad in your son…

3. Gabriella says:

Your love for your Dad is so very palpable in your poem, Linda! This is both beautiful and moving. You must make him proud.

4. A Parent who
    lives in children’s
    eyes never fully
    dies in
    Love
    here now..:)

5. I feel a sense of regret in this…but underlying it all–the hope that faith gives.

• I do regret I wasn’t there when he died and that we had no service for him and that he never met my son. But there is hope, yes.

• I never knew my birth father…he was killed in WWII when I was 3 months old. And my adopted father died just before my kidney transplant–I had to leave to give blood for my surgery and that’s when he died. I do believe that some people choose to die alone. I’ve seen it so often in my work. The family may stay 24/7 with them and leave to use the restroom and they slip away!

• My situation was that my dad called and asked me to come see him in California. I bought a ticket for two weeks out, not realizing he was so close to the end, and he died a week later. I should have just hopped on a plane and spent that last week with him.

• I’m sorry, Linda. That makes it tough on you. But please don’t beat yourself up.

6. Aww, how sweet, he sounds like a wonderful dad! You’re blessed to have had such s close relationship. Beautiful memories and lovely poem.

Thank you for your nice comment on my blog. You asked about my dog’s name. It was Al (my pal Al). Smiles 🙂

7. narcissus101 says:

To share your loss is one of the hardest things in life, I am very sorry.

Oh, Linda, that is one powerful poem. I feel so strongly the missing you feel for your dad. I think it must be especially hard since there is no physical place where you can visit and also that there was no church service to commemorate his passing. I am so glad you found time to do this prompt.. This IS a poem worth having written.

9. To have had him when you had, and see him in your son… but yet you must miss him so much.. so well told.

10. Sherry Marr says:

It sounds like you had a wonderful dad. Cherish those memories. He sounds like a really good and loving man.

11. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Deeply sorry for your loss Linda… this is a very touching poem…

12. Deeply sorry for your loss… a touching write.

13. Bodhirose says:

I always love hearing of nurturing parents and you were fortunate to have a father such as you describe, Linda. I’m sorry for your loss, and happy for your faith that comforts you.

Oh Linda – how much of you shared in this, even though it was about your father. He sounds an amazing man and how wonderful the traces of him that appears in your son. And yes, it is wonderful we all will meet again.