The End and the Beginning

Over at dVerse Poets Pub today Gayle is asking us to write Japanese death poems, preferably in the tanka or haiku form (though she said we didn’t have to adhere to strict syllable counts). I decided to write a tanka, which I’ve never done before. I don’t know if I followed all the rules, but I did stick with the 5/7/5/7/7 syllable counts.

My poem illustrates how I hope I will face death some day, at least this is my plan. I didn’t set out for it to rhyme, but it does, so there you go.

The End and the Beginning

My wandering over,
my suffering now to cease,
my eternal home
in sight, now my hope and peace
embracing the sweet release

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The End and the Beginning

your faith is evident in this without being over-stated. I think that even those of us who are Christians have a fear of death…but yet we shouldn’t if we truly believe that what comes next is so much better…so much more…

2. May it be so for you when the time comes!

3. lynn__ says:

Beautiful phrase “embracing the sweet release”…yes, no fear in love!

No rules say the tanka can’t rhyme! This is so peaceful and happy. Excellent testimony in so few words that say so very much.

5. I so second that 🙂 Sweet release. Loved it.

6. It must be lovely when one is at peace at the ,moment of passing – as many are, thankfully.

7. Glenn Buttkus says:

Spirituality is our ace in the hole, as long as love is the edict & joy is the fodder. Nice jisei, Linda.

8. Kathy Reed says:

Beautiful..and there will be no more pain, only peace. Your faith is strong to be so accepting.

• Well, I don’t want it to come today, mind you, because I want to see my son get married and have me some grand kids someday, but I suppose if it did I’d be okay with that.

9. Beautiful testimony of your faith, Linda.

Thinking of death as a sweet release….sounds like a very peaceful way to go!

11. At least ..my intuitive
    feeling IS.. God enjoys
    those most.. who Live
    the most.. smiles..:)

12. What an inspirational message, to face our final dance with so much joy.

13. Peace and joy, what more can we ask for

• That’s what I’m looking forward to. Not that I don’t have some of that here in this life, but it’s mixed with pain and suffering. Pure peace and joy will be a wonderful thing.

14. MarinaSofia says:

This is such a content, calm and hopeful poem – wonderful contrast to the bitterness, wistfulness and regrets some of the traditional jisei expressed.

15. To be able to part with the world with such joy… to know that the it’s better afterwards.. that is a great.

To finally embrace that eternal home would be a blessing indeed ~ We can only hope for that peace ~ Thanks for joining us Linda ~

17. Bodhirose says:

I love it, Linda…it’s perfect. How nice to know that our suffering will be over and we can at last rest in peace…lovely. Thank you for joining in today.