In a Heartbeat, in a Flash

Kanzen is tending the bar today for Poetics at dVerse Poets Pub asking for poems on change. I went to a new favorite form, the Kyrielle, and decided to touch on a topic that’s been on my mind a lot lately. I wrote an in-depth post on my change of position from being staunchly pro-choice to resolutely pro-life in this post, but decided to condense the story into this poem.

In a Heartbeat, in a Flash

Out of nothing God created
Life in my womb that was sacred
A heartbeat for change was fated
Pro-choice to pro-life in a flash

There once was a life unwanted
Another small heartbeat undaunted
Reminder to my heart haunted
Pro-choice to pro-life in a flash

Mourning the loss of the second
Remember the first, God beckoned
Repent, your sin may be reckoned
Pro-choice to pro-life in a flash

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to In a Heartbeat, in a Flash

1. lynn__ says:

Your title says it all…listening to those heartbeats can change minds!

2. Vinay Leo R. says:

Change is not always a bad thing though. 🙂 Interesting reflection.

3. kaykuala h says:

One may not get what is desired. Sometimes the reasons are not known. But at least it sets one thinking, why?. Very true Linda!

Hank

4. Glenn Buttkus says:

I didn’t get over here on Poetics Tuesday; glad I stopped by today to witness your heartfelt testimonial. Some of us were snared by pro-choice sentiments when the blindness of youth, coupled to fear of inadequacy as a parent, refused to accept the responsibility of our own actions; but God does not give up on us & sometimes redemption reigns.

5. Bodhirose says:

You share an important topic in your writing and one that I can tell made an impact on your life…thanks for sharing.

6. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Some things change the course of our lives forever. Beautifully executed.

Wonderful poetic form. And such an amazing response to the prompt. Thank you for writing this courageous poem and for sharing this experience and change with us. Bless you.

8. Larry Who says:

It takes courage to use your mistake as a stage to point people to Jesus and His ways. So, God bless you.

There are some changes that really impact a person forever. Well penned, Linda.

This is a big change of heart ~ Some experiences do make us a changed person ~

11. Kathy Reed says:

What a change over the course of having your own children! Well written.. a personal decision, it means we all can change our opinions over time….

12. I think these type of changes are something we are all going through.. and when it’s based on your own experience it’s different from others. Behind every child there is a story…

13. Life.. alWays