A Beautiful Sacrifice

Over at dVerse Poets Pub, Mary challenges to write about beauty. With Good Friday and Easter on the horizon, I decided to write about the most beautiful sacrifice in all of history.

A Beautiful Sacrifice

It is an ugly scene

A naked man with bloody hands and feet
hangs upon an instrument of torture
sharp thorns jammed into his forehead
blood dripping down his face
sweat covering his body

He weeps
not for himself, but for the mockers
spitting at him
taunting and jeering
casting lots for his clothing
knowing not what they do

He cries out in agony yet
intercedes for those who hate him
prays they be forgiven, that we be forgiven
He atones, redeems, sets free
loves in a way we cannot fully comprehend

It is a beautiful scene
It is a beautiful sacrifice of love

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Beautiful Sacrifice

1. wolfsrosebud says:

nothing more beautiful than Christ’s sacrifice

2. Debbie says:

Beautiful poem depicting His beautiful sacrifice. Really loved this Linda . Thank you!

3. lynn__ says:

Beautiful Savior, indeed!

4. Glenn Buttkus says:

Sacrifice has always held hands with liberty & freedom, & to relive the sacrifice that Jesus made is forever haunting, & now I can add beauty to my list of responses.

Truly love that is beyond any beauty of our understanding.

6. The beauty of ‘loves in a way we cannot fully comprehend’ A wonderful poem for the end of Lent

7. Susan says:

I do not find the image beautiful, but the love certainly is. How many people are willing to break open their lives for others, following Jesus’ instructions and example! That too is beautiful. Your powerful poem gave me pause and reflection.

8. kelly says:

So well penned, from the depths of horror come beauty.

9. it takes strength beyond me to not get mad, but forgive those who are poisoned by ignorance… It takes practice indeed. At times it feels satisfying to stoop to one’s level, but later on guilt sets in for being just as stupid. This piece brought those feelings out of me… this is a painful scene, but damnit that is beauty

10. billgncs says:

Yes, I think your topic was worthy, nicely penned.

11. This is a perfect choice for beauty that in all appearance seems to be the very opposite of physical beauty but that can never be equaled.Thank you, Linda. And blessings as we move into this holiest time of year for many of us.

12. I envisioned this piece…and all I got to say is: Beautiful!

I love it.

wonderful poem for this Lent season.

14. peggygoetz says:

Ah yes I was thinking about this very thing as I wrote my poem–how we have come to see a scene of torture and death as having a beauty. Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

15. Indeed how such horror can become a scene of beauty.. the meaning makes all the difference..

This poem is very well timed, Linda. The agony of the scene was hard to read, but the sacrifice was definitely the greatest act of love.