Safety of Your Wing

Here in the shadow of Your wing
I am safe
Safe to rejoice
Safe to weep and mourn

Here in the shadow of Your wing
I am secure
Secure in my future
Secure from the former things

Here in the shadow of Your wing
I will rest
Rest in peace
Rest in harmony and grace

I seek You and I find love
Here in the shadow of Your wing

___________________________

At dVerse Poets Pub today, Victoria is calling for poems about feathers, wings, or birds. At first I was going to write about bald eagles, which remind me of my mom. But then when I went to get lunch the song “Shadow of Your Wings” by Casting Crowns came on my iPod in the car and it gave me the idea for this poem instead.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Safety of Your Wing

1. Imelda says:

This is so comforting, Linda. And somehow, this reminded me of that spiritual song On Eagle’s Wings. 😊

2. Cyress says:

I love this line: “Secure from the former things” … It makes me think of “former” things in not only the sense that certain things have past, but also in that some things/experiences are “formative.” They make us who we are, whether the experiences are good or bad, pleasant or painful. Regardless, in His arms, you are kept away from it all … a sort of amniotic fluid, really. It makes me picture this special safety taking away all the things that have formed you into who you are, taking you back into a womb of sorts … or back into God’s presence before your conception.

3. Amen, Linda! With everything going on in the world it can be hard to remember that with Jesus we ARE safe and we CAN rejoice 🙂 Blessings!

4. lillian says:

Have never heard the song but find this piece hauntingly beautiful!

5. rosemawrites says:

the repetition worked so well it feels so comforting. a lovely write. ❤

6. That’s a beautiful song and your poem is lovely, simple, and true. Thank you, Linda!

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Such a comforting use of the metaphor in your poem.. Linda 💖

8. The metaphor, in the shadow of Your wings, is one of the most comforting in Psalms. It leads to the resting contemplative state of hope, for me, at least. Nicely captured.

You highlight the fact that we are safe and secure in both the bad times and the good. So true!

10. annell4 says:

Yes, I think a wing would work, wish I had one….or maybe two.

11. A wonderful metaphor repeated,

Under His wings…so goes the hymn. Lovely poem.

13. thotpurge says:

We all need that safe spot under a protective wing…nicely said.

14. Debbie says:

Really really like this, Linda. Is it a specific form? The way lines three and four in each stanza start with the last word in line two really resonates with me! Wonderful work.

15. whimsygizmo says: