Gospel Clerihews

The apostle John
dropped his nets at dawn
followed Jesus with the ten
all became fishers of men

*********

Simon’s son Judas
by his betrayal showed us
it’s not enough to meet God
if a different path we trod

*********

Today’s Form for All prompt at dVerse Poets Pub is a lesson the Clerihew. I just started an in-depth study of the book of John so thought I’d write about a couple of famous people from that book. Head on over the dVerse to see who others are writing about in short verse.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Gospel Clerihews

1. Linda says:

I think these are both very good! Thank you so much for sharing. 🙂

2. Sabio Lantz says:

Interesting take.

Apostles Judas and John
    were both holy pawns
    at the hands of the holy
    who consider us so lowly

3. Nan Mykel says:

I especially liked the first one. A good one!

4. Beautifully expressed, Linda!

5. Well done! You present the moral in 4 lines each, if you will.

So true that different paths do not lead to the same destination, even if they briefly intersect.

7. Mish says:

Great message in the last two lines. I’ve shared a church pew or two with some that cannot see this.

8. rosemawrites says:

a lovely lovely take, Linda! 🙂 Love the second one especially.

9. Kathy Reed says:

I think these are lovely.

10. ghostmmnc says:

Good to be reminded of these stories. I do like they way you’ve done the rhymes, too! 🙂

11. Ω says:

Man, these are so good. I’m impressed.

12. Brian says:

I liked these poems. Quiet and strong.

13. Glenn Buttkus says:

Your gospel renderings are sweet, & do gently rock the fun prompt. You were right to expect mine to be politically oriented.

14. frankhubeny says:

I liked the second one the best. The idea of meeting but on a different path is now stuck in my head.

• It has always astounded me that Judas lived with Jesus for 3 years, saw all the same things the other 11 did, and yet betrayed Him because what Judas saw didn’t match up with what he expected the Messiah to be. He was walking a path of expectations and couldn’t see the reality in front of him that was so much better.

15. I love that we can tackle even the Bible and Judas with at least a small smile.

16. Bodhirose says:

Thanks for playing along today, Linda, and adding your thoughts on the gospel.

17. lillian says:

Interesting take on the prompt. Funny how what we’re doing at the time, colors how we respond to a prompt. Thanks for sharing!