Read to the End

My life’s an open book
pages torn, stained
with tears and blood

Come read who I am
see where I’ve been
get lost in my painful life

But don’t put my book down until
you’ve reached the end where
you’ll find grace and redemption

_______________________________________

It’s Quadrille Monday at dVerse Poets Pub. I love this prompt because I can always find time to write 44 words that say so much. Today the required word is “open.” Head over and check out the other 44-word tomes offered today. The pub opens at 12:00 Pacific Time.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Read to the End

1. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Nice ending – for book and poem.

2. Realistic point of view here, and I like the hope and redemption, which is what I believe will come after life experience.

3. frankhubeny says:

I liked the happy ending with grace and redemption after the tears, blood, loss and pain.

4. until you’ve reached the end where
    you’ll find grace and redemption

That’s it, Linda! There is always a salvation eventually at the end that helps make life more interesting!

Hank

LoVe
    for LiFe..
    Grace of Gift
    my FriEnd.. noW no
    greaTer than liFE..:)

6. lynn__ says:

A beautiful take on the prompt, Linda…at the end of our pain is grace and redemption, yes!

Oh I do love a happy ending!

8. maria says:

Awwee.. surely, we will. 🙂

9. “My life’s an open book
    pages torn, stained
    with tears and blood”

Beautifully written! ❤

10. kim881 says:

A quiet quadrille that has to be read to the wonderful ending. Lovely, Linda!

11. Mish says:

Absolutely! These books, these lives are not over yet. A beautiful analogy, Linda. 🙂

12. Sumana Roy says:

ah…this is one book of ours, we are given to read till end & can’t quit in the midway…beautiful lines…

13. This so poignantly beautiful. My soul sighed when I read it.

14. Wonderful poem, Linda. We will all have to keep on reading.

15. thotpurge says:

True..one has to keep going till the grace emerges…

16. Bodhirose says:

Love your title, Linda. You never know what’s waiting around the next bend so don’t give up…keeping reading that book!

17. Anita Lubesh says:

Indeed life is one book guaranteed to be read to the end.

18. love to read your book till the end, promise! 🙂

19. ihatepoetry says:

AH, this gets a big hug and kiss. I loved the path of this.

20. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Oh this is beautifully poignant ❤ Lovely Quadrille, Linda

21. Amen. THanks Linda, this is beautiful, simple and true!

22. Thank you for leaving us with hope.

23. We are all the sum of our perfect imperfections. Such a beautiful poem!

24. Glenn Buttkus says:

“Read to the present” could be an alternative title; your Q44 is touching, honest, & intriguing.

25. MarinaSofia says:

A powerful metaphor, which works really well. And implies that your life is like an open book as well.

Wonderful quadrille. And the ending is amazing. I love your tale ending with grace and redemption. Our readings at church were also about grace and redemption and the love of the Father for all of His children, even the bad, lazy, self-righteous ones.

27. whimsygizmo says:

Beautiful, Linda. Made me think of this verse I love:

“God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him. When I cleaned up my act, he gave me a fresh start. Indeed, I’ve kept alert to God’s ways; I haven’t taken God for granted. Every day I review the ways he works, I try not to miss a trick. I feel put back together, and I’m watching my step. God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.”

2 Samuel 22:21-25 (The Message)

28. It ain’t over till it’s over… great wisdom in the image of reading the book to the end.

• I know there are some books I’ve quit mid-book, but I suppose I do them a disservice to not keep reading. When we apply that analogy to a person’s life, we have to keep reading to the end and not give up on them because the chapter they are on seems to be a disaster.

29. Our reading at church this weekend were all about this, culminating in the parable of the prodigal son. I so love this story and find it so easy to identify with him and also with the brother…both so in need of the Father’s crazy love. Wow!

Liked by 2 people