The One-Eyed Wonder

I tell my dog to stay
so he promptly sits
He just wants to play
It’s a battle of wits
A quick game of fetch fits
with the cat’s added comedy
when he jumps and flits

It seemed like quite the tragedy
when the poor dog lost his left eye
Nonetheless he is wicked smart
and when he is wont to cry
it breaks my heart
Inwardly I moan
my heart’s not made of stone

__________________________________

The Meeting the Bar prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today is to write a Bouts-Rimés (pronounced Boo-ReeMay) with a given set of end rhyme words. When I read the word choices, I immediately was inspired to write this poem about my pets, both of whom had to go to the vet this morning. Our vet called Roman her “one-eyed wonder.”

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to The One-Eyed Wonder

1. SMiLes.. what other
    animals have iN
    common iS
    the human
    heARt..
    sadly
    reaSon
    can take iT away..
    most animals
    not as
    disabled
    bY reason
    oF being human..:)

Nicely done! Sounds like your one eyed wonder is a delightful friend!

3. Glenn Buttkus says:

In my family we call the pets our “fur kids”. I really enjoyed the lightness with witch you approached the prompt, considering so many of us weighed in on the darker side.

4. radio head says:

This is my favorite section:
    “when the poor dog lost his left eye
    Nonetheless he is wicked smart
    and when he is wont to cry
    it breaks my heart”

Sometimes our limitations can enhance our other gifts.

5. Leanne says:

This is sweet. ❤

6. lillian says:

Well done! Animals are so fun and crazy and give unconditional love — even one eyed, or deaf, or a pup or a cat. We actually had a Siamese cat that fetched! 🙂 Enjoyed this one!

7. Had a “one-eyed” wonder when I was a kid. Brought back fond memories of a great companion! For that alone I love this, Linda!

8. Animals are amazing. You wrote a wonderful poem about your love for your pets.

9. kim881 says:

Your poem reminded me of a number of dogs I have known and loved, one of them my best friend’s (unfortunately long-dead) one-eyed Dachshund, Goliath. He was a real character. Thank you for prompting some happy memories.

10. The words were so fitting for the ups and down with pets.. Hope they do well at the Vet’s today.

11. Well, Linda, I guess we took the same route!

12. That’s where my mind went at first…my dogs. And I’m so glad that’s where you took it. I have had a dog with cataracts, 3 who are deaf, and aren’t they resilient?!

13. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

What a lovely subject you chose! And how well it fitted the words – or they the subject.:)

14. Bodhirose says:

Really enjoyed this, Linda, our pets mean so much to us. I hope the pets are doing well after their visit to the vet.

I am smiling at the comedy with the game ~ But how sad for the dog to lose his eye ~ It would break my heart too ~

16. This is a familiar scene here…I hope my dog won’t loose an eye though…well done!

17. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Powerful use of the given words 🙂

Excellent. Loved the way you used to words to write of a real-life situation. Your Roman sounds like quite the dog!

19. ShirleyB says:

You encompassed comedy and tragedy in more ways than one!

20. Candy says:

this mad eme smile, thinking about that special dog and the added comedy of the cat

21. very clever use of the words

22. hypercryptical says:

Little furry folk have a way to touch our heart…
    Anna :o]