Unseen Angels

My soul torn asunder
across the railroad tracks

Twelve hundred miles away
a lone whistle blows
lamenting what is lost

Who will gather the pieces
put me back together?

How will I be whole again?

Unseen angels
precious messengers
from my Savior dear

Gather, sweetly gather
what was swept upon the wind

I have been delivered
whole and restored
forevermore
forevermore

______________________________

When I read the prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today, I decided this story of mine fit the bill. I may try another longer narrative poem in keeping with the prompt, but for now I’ve decided to link this one.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Unseen Angels

1. Forevermorenow
    MockingjayS
    SinG
    onLY now..
    and now aGaiN..:)

2. Bekkie says:

I love the lone whistle of hope blowing and the reference to Poe.

3. lillian says:

The “forevermore” echo reminds me of Poe’s reverse: quoth the raven, never more”. I do appreciate this poem — I’ve always said, there are a myriad of angels along the way.

4. “Unseen Angels” are never silent. You’ll know they’re present by the sounds of life. I appreciate this piece!

5. MarinaSofia says:

I like your fine sense of mystery about the precise details of the story – enigmatic and yet clear, melancholy and yet hopeful.

6. ShirleyB says:

No need to fill in the gaps here. The words tell all and unravel beautifully.

7. Kathy Reed says:

At first melancholy, then strongly brought to faith and the images of angels hovering….beautiful.

8. Beautiful narrative, Linda, and a testimony to grace. I especially like the effect you create with the train reference.

9. Very interesting story here, mainly because you have to really read between the lines, and piece the narrative back together.

10. whimsygizmo says:

Beautiful. I love how that “forevermore, forevermore” echoes like “nevermore.” 🙂

11. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Beautifully poignant 🙂

12. I found this very touching

13. I’m happy to know that you have those angels coming for you… I hope they come for many…

14. kelly says:

I like the imagery you have used to illustrate the hope beneath the anguish… very effective. Whole forevermore.

• Thanks. I have to confess I stole the “unseen angels” from the song Precious Memories, which I’ve been listening to by Patty Loveless. The mournfulness of that song and that phrase seemed appropriate of finish this poem.