Last Breath – A Cinquain

Breathing
in, out again
no other sound so dear
except if you spoke, one more time,
I’d hear.

I wrote this cinquain for dVerse Poets Pubs FormForAll. It is my attempt to capture my experience of Thursday last week as I sat in my sister’s hospital room, praying she had it in her to keep fighting cancer, but knowing she did not.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Last Breath – A Cinquain

1. Cat Hill says:

Thank you for sharing this very moving and beautiful poem. Praying for you too.

2. kkkkaty says:

Beautiful poem and I’m sorry…

3. Debbie says:

Tearing up and praying for you too, trusting Jesus to hold you now, and speak the words of comfort to you. God bless you.

4. Sabio Lantz says:

Ouch, very touching. I know those hours and days. Tough. Well written. Thanx for sharing the context.

5. Rowan Taw says:

This is so very moving – I can say no more…

Linda, so sorry about your sister. Your cinquain is profound, from the heart.. Not easy times for you.

7. margaretbednar says:

…one more time to hear a voice. Yes, a tough, very tough thing. Expressed quite lovingly, sweetly here in this poem.

8. brian miller says:

smiles…lovely…comforting to hear the breathing but when it stops…ah to wish for one more word…i am so sorry for your loss linda…

9. claudia says:

i’m sorry to hear about your sister linda…this reminded me of my dad, he died of lung cancer when i was 17..

10. Tony says:

This is a beautiful cinquain, born in adversity as so many of Adelaide Crapsey’s were. So sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for you.