Enough – A Poem

I like to believe that no matter what happens in this life, Jesus would be enough for me. But having never had that idea truly tested I can’t be sure. But I am thankful that God loves me even when I am not sure because He knows my desire. I am reminded of the father who asked Jesus to heal his son who was possessed by an evil spirit, if Jesus could.

“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
Mark 9:23-24 (NIV).

Yesterday as I pondered my desire for Jesus to be enough and my need for Him to help me overcome my uncertainty, this poem was inspired.

7/17/12 Update: I have linked this poem for dVerse Poets Pub‘s 1st Open Link Night of its second year! Happy Anniversary to dVerse!

Enough

Would You be
Enough for me
If You were all I had?

“You are my all in all”
I’ve declared
Many times before

But if all else
Walked out the door
Would I cry for more?

Would I lament
My family lost
My friends who’d gone away?

Would I wail
For vanished possessions
The things I’ve come to love?

Or would I rest
In You alone
Content You stayed with me?

Is Your grace
Your everlasting love
Truly enough for me?

Today, my Lord
I pray You’d be
Forever enough for me

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Enough – A Poem

1. clawfish says:

Sometimes enough is a little bit without greed that satisfies

2. kelly says:

such big questions to ponder. we all find our own answers, i suppose.

3. Claudia says:

i often think about job when life hit him so hard and he lost everything…not sure what i would do..

• Job is a great example, but there are people even today who have lost everything and are imprisoned and tortured for their faith. I’m not sure what I would do, but I know that God would not forsake me. Remembering that in the midst of the trial is the hard part! Peace, Linda

4. poemsofhateandhope says:

Tightly written for sure….I’m not a particularly religious person- BUT- I really enjoy the questions you ask in this…after all…we shouldn’t follow blindly should we?…. I particularly like the way you tag your stanzas with rhyming words…..gives this a really cool flow…particularly with those 3 lines per stanza

5. brian miller says:

it makes me wonder how life might be if we truly lived like he was…very nice verse linda…

6. Debbie says:

Linda, this poem is just perfect and I’m praying with you, that He would be forever enough for me! God bless you . . it’s almost the weekend!