Darkness Hovers – A Poem

Darkness hovers at the door
eye out for an entrance
an opening in my armor
a reason to steal my joy

The joy of the Lord
is my strength and my armor
the Light that keeps
darkness at bay

Despair lurks in the shadows
waiting for an opportunity
to pull me back into darkness
with hopes of keeping me evermore

Vigilance is crucial
I never can forget
Darkness desires to consume me
and take my joy away

I must stand firm
in the armor of my Lord
His belt of truth
reminding me He is my Light

Flaming arrows of sorrow
guilt, shame, and despair
fly from the darkness
my heart and soul their target

With the shield of faith
darkness is thwarted
unless I grow careless
even for a moment

I grow weary and tired
pain overwhelms me
My shield falls to the ground
darkness overcomes

Yet my Savior never forsakes
this despair will not last
Though I am in darkness
I will pray in the Spirit

Light returns to my soul
I set my armor to the ready
once again standing vigilant
as darkness hovers at my door

9/14/11 Update – This poem was linked at dVerse Poets Pub for Open Link Night – Week 9

This entry was posted in Christian Living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Darkness Hovers – A Poem

1. Patricia says:

yes. he reaches down into the depths and places our feet upon the rock. Good poem Linda. =)

2. brian says:

nice…an epic battle we face on a regular basis in the spirit realm…brought to life well…thanks for being a light bringer

3. lori says:

Sometimes I think it’s okay to embrace those dark times and plunge ahead through them. For me, fighting them sometimes intensifies them even more. Just some thoughts. But, yes, joy is definitely strength for the journey no matter where it takes you 🙂 Thanks for sharing with us.

• Thanks for your comment. For me, the dark times bring back memories of the 8 years I lost to major depression and bring with them a fear of returning to that place. I feel like I’ve already spent enough of my life on dark thoughts. There is a kind of darkness, though, that I agree it is good and important to go through, and that is when it is tied to an identifiable event, such as the loss of a loved one or other tragedy, that needs to be dealt with and not just stuffed inside and ignored. Peace, Linda

4. It’s a great poem, and it sidesteps the saccharine sweet. Thank you for laying it on us. Bring us more, if you can.

5. Ann says:

Thanks, Linda

“With the shield of faith
    Darkness is thwarted
    Unless I grow careless
    Even for a moment”

Reminds me of the scripture that admonishes us “to be sober and vigilant” The enemy is moving about like a lion. Must be careful to keep our eyes on Him and to walk in His steps.

Blessings,
    ann

6. Debbie says:

This describes the spiritual battles so well, that we go through! God bless you, Linda, and how you use whatever He gives you for His glory!

7. April says: