It Curls and Swirls

musty screen
it stunk

But not as bad
as Old Gold
bare butt smoke

_________________________-

I missed the first Quadrille Monday of the year at dVerse Poets Pub because we were travelling and I didn’t have time. But I read the prompt and the idea of a short poem using the word “curl” has been swirling in my mind ever since. I decided I’d catch up with Open Link Night

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to It Curls and Swirls

1. lillian says:

Curling smoke…..funny to watch some of the old movies when smoking was such an acceptable and expected thing to do…not even considered a “habit.” Both my parents smoked…it was the days of fancy ashtrays given for wedding gifts…we had a white ceramic one with a delicate rose on its edge. How far we’ve come…

That smell of smoke is certainly one I can live without!

3. Sabio Lantz says:

Much fun. Being and ex-smoker and always an aspiring loving hedonist

4. kaykuala

open the tiny window
    breathe fresh air

How most welcomed! Fresh air as opposed to the nicotine laden ones!

Hank

5. C.C. says:

This is really great…glad you caught up on the quadrille and shared it with us 🙂

6. Oloriel says:

Lovely scene, at least for me. I quit smoking a month ago, but I vicariously enjoyed it once again through your poem.

7. sanaarizvi says:

bare butt smoke… brilliant!

I love it, bare butt smoke. Exactly what my grandparents called unfiltered cigs. And it did stink. Good take on the prompt!

9. frankhubeny says:

I liked the phrase “bare butt smoke”. Sometimes it is hard to get fresh air even from outside.

My hubby smokes but he doesn’t do it inside the house, and not when we are around either ~ Don’t like the smell of those tendrils and curls of smoke ~ Good to catch up on our prompts Linda ~

11. Love it…also curious…bare butt smoke?

12. I remember rooms, buses and train carriages being blue with smoke. Breathing in fresh air was so wonderful and I love ‘So I’d twirl the crank open the tiny window breathe fresh air’.

13. I do remember when we smelled smoke everywhere… such a long time since that happened (and I never smoked myself)