Endless Roller Coaster

It occurred to me the other day
that I’m on a roller coaster ride
The Cyclone on Coney Island perhaps
or Goliath at Six Flags

I chug up the hill on encouragements
Your story needs to be told
You are such a good writer
I love your perspective
You are so brave

I reach the top, elated and determined
Ready to conquer all my doubts and fears
Ready to write my memoir
and tell my story to the world

Then comes the drop, racing downhill
at breakneck speed to the bottom
to unconquered doubt and fears
No one cares about your story
You’re no Mary Karr or Maya Angelou
You can’t let people know everything about you
What will your family think?
You must be crazy, just give up now

Then just this morning I realized
if I was on a roller coaster ride
it would be over by now
because they only last about two minutes

Guess I’ll get back in line for another ride

_____________________

Sharing for Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub today.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Endless Roller Coaster

Oh yes, this life has its ups and downs, but so much more than a carnival ride.

2. maria says:

I love that last line. ❤ I believe in a roller coaster ride, you could either choose to scream in fear or joy. The choice is ours but I'd prefer the latter. 🙂

3. kim881 says:

I think everyone has said what I wanted to say – except I’m not keen on roller coasters but, as a Brit, I’m used to standing in queues!

4. There is a lot of honesty in this poem. I think we can relate to second guessing ourselves in life. Well written.

5. Kay says:

I can totally relate to this feeling! Well executed, Linda. 💜

6. thotpurge says:

can totally relate to this.. but you write only for yourself and the rest doesn’t/ don’t matter in the end. Good luck with your writing.

7. Sabio Lantz says:

I think the truth lies in both extremes — it does not matter in the big picture — but it does in someone’s small picture. And the big picture is a bunch of small ones but we don’t arrange it.

Also, we are often delusional thinking our story unique, needed or more. More often, we just want to scream out ME! It is important to admit that — it makes for better writing, I think.

If you ever re-write this poem, I think it would have ended better by just leaving the last line off.

I loved the analogy and the rawness.

I like your spunky attitude Linda ~ All the best to your writing project ~

9. Great analogy and so true of life. Glad you’re back in line 🙂

10. Brian says:

Everyone deserves a memoir if only to state to the world that you went on the ride and came back for more. Best of luck.

11. True, “You’re no Mary Karr or Maya Angelou.” You are Linda Kruschke, and your story does need to be told! Thank you for sharing this piece with us!

12. I think we all face that rollercoaster ups and downs… how apt that we can go for a second ride… just stand in line and off you go

13. I love this! We should always strive to be ourselves and never give up hope ❤

Excellent metaphor here Linda. Life is a roller coaster ride at times and not just the writing aspect of it. Very well written.

15. Exactly .. you are not Mary Karr or Maya Angelo. .. You are LINDA with Capitals … and that’s just right!!!

16. Larry Who says:

What if like Mordecai Ham, you only touch one important person with your memoir, but that person ends up being Billy Graham. That would be good, right?