My Redeemer, A Psalm

The Lord is my Redeemer
He is my comfort in times of sorrow
He is my Rock when the tempest roils
O Lord, You are my Hope when all seems hopeless
My refuge from the storms within and without

The Lord is my Peace
When conflict and strife seem never-ending
He is my joy in good times and bad
For His Joy is my strength
O Lord, how long until my striving cease
And You make all things new

My heart wants to doubt, O Lord
That You will fulfill Your awesome promises
Yet I know my heart is deceitful and vain
But You are faithful and trustworthy
So I will put my trust in the Lord

The Lord is my Redeemer and my Hope
I will rest in You and be satisfied
I will trust in You and be at peace

____________________________

The dVerse Poets Pub prompt on Tuesday was to write a poem inspired by the poetry of our favorite poet. Well, my favorite poet is King David and his Psalms have inspired me to write before. I wasn’t able to write to the prompt in time to link there, but this morning I turned to the Psalms and wrote this psalm of my own. What I love about the Psalms is that there is often both praise of God and lament within the same poem. As I read several favorite Psalms this morning I was also struck by how they often switch from speaking directly to God to speaking about Him to another.

Since I missed the Tuesday Mr. Linky I’m sharing this today for Open Link Night.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to My Redeemer, A Psalm

A lovely psalm. It has the feel and content of one of David’s own. Nicely done!

2. Psalm 151 according to Linda! Nicely crafted.

3. lillian says:

A lovely psalm you’ve written here. I especially like this line
    “My refuge from the storms within and without”
    and the words “I will rest in you…”

I have a dear friend in the throes of ovarian cancer and in her blog, she writes that the prayers of others hold her aloft like a cushion surrounding her, softening the daily hardships.

I will rest in you…..these words have been echoed by her many times. She gains a calm and serenity from her spiritual beliefs. Your psalm speaks of this.

Thank you for sharing.

• Sometimes we can’t do much about the storms without (like getting cancer) but God gives peace within in spite of those storms. I’m glad you enjoyed my psalm. Feel free to share with your friend if you think it would bless her. Peace, Linda

4. MarinaSofia says:

Very musical psalm, I can understand why Toni felt a compulsion to play the violin when reading it… a lovely response indeed.

I found myself singing the words. I know it wasn’t written to music but I had to grab my violin and play it while reading again. King David truly was a great and inspired poet. You wrote a perfect psalm here and it ending in hope and peace truly brought the love and intention of the psalms to us. thank you.

Such a lovely prayer Linda ~ Thanks for sharing it ~

7. Oh.. one of my favorite
    things to do is
    wriTinG
    psalmlets
    oF Nature..
    wheRe God lives
    everywHere aLL at
    one now.. so comforting
    to be here now aLL wITh GOD..
    and nicely expresSinG
    sentiments
    of God.. you
    bRinG here
    as weLL.. my
    friend..:)

8. Larry Who says:

“As I read several favorite Psalms this morning I was also struck by how they often switch from speaking directly to God to speaking about Him to another…”

And also, how often the psalmist switches to God speaking directly to him and to others. Psalm 91 quickly comes to mind. Great psalm!

9. Bodhirose says:

Such a lovely, heartfelt psalm, Linda. I like the bit of struggle in it that conveys the doubt and then returns to faith and trust.

10. It’s a powerful response to the deep wisdom in the psalms.

I like that you were inspired by a psalm and wrote your own in response. You managed to work in both lament and praise well. Your last stanza really imparts a sense of peace to the reader.

12. Waltermarks says:

He had lots of inspiration, it shows

13. Sanaa Rizvi says:

I agree with De πŸ™‚ this is inspirational indeed! Great job πŸ™‚

14. Beautiful Psalm poem.

My favorite lines your created:

O Lord, You are my Hope when all seems hopeless
    My refuge from the storms within and without

I can relate to this so much. You’ve brought peace and harmony in our thoughts. Love this poem and greatly written. πŸ™‚

15. I think the contrast between lament and praise, between hot and cold,… Truly a great way to convey emotions. I think passion can only be said in opposites..

16. whimsygizmo says:

Linda, this is a beautiful Psalm, indeed. It’s been a long time since I wrote one, and I believe you’ve inspired me. πŸ™‚ The praise/lament cycle is one of the reasons I love them, also. They mirror my own heart.

I love your sound bump with Peace/cease. So lovely.