Not Unforgiven

The Meeting the Bar prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today is brought to us by De Jackson who wants us to write using the poetic device of enjambment (which is when thought doesn’t end at the end of a line of poetry but spills over onto the next line). Lately I’ve been writing more form poetry, but I’ve been known to write a fair amount of free verse using enjambment. So I decided to take on De’s challenge to write using hyphenated words for this short poem on forgiveness.

Not Unforgiven

Feeling un-
forgiven is what I am

I will be-
loved for all eternity

Love is with-
held only by the wicked

You are whole-
some of what I need

God is all-
knowing my heart’s desire

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Not Unforgiven

1. Bodhirose says:

I like your clever line breaks too which brings a double meaning of the words that you chose, Linda. I hope that you will find the peace that you are searching for.

2. Debbie says:

Thank you, Linda, for this reminder that we are loved and forgiven! I need to hear that today too. Somehow I had gotten unsubscribed to your blog . ..gonna fix that now! God bless!

• So good to have you visit. I miss visiting your blog every day. I seem to be less consistent with my blogging and blog reading than I used to be. But I think of you often. I’m about to publish my second poetry book, and you were my original inspiration to write poetry. Peace, Linda

3. Candy says:

love the way the lines each put a different slant on the meaning. nicely written!

4. That’s really nicely done. I like how the words gather a new meaning with their prefixes and suffixes. 🙂
    -HA

5. I like the double meanings found here! Beautiful!

6. you made such good use of the hesitating hyphen (for) for-give-ness

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Beautiful.. indeed God is aware of our heart’s desires 🙂

8. Sabio Lantz says:

Your hyphens lead us to the next line and don’t let the words really separate — so it is safer than other enjambments. I get safe. My hope is that we all find “wholesome” , “giving”, “forgiving” and “knowing” love here and now, and don’t despair thinking in only awaits us after we are dead.

9. I like how you broke the words here.. It introduce a moment of thoughtfulness to let the message sink in. Good to see you at the bar.

This was so very good and so meaningful. I’m glad to see you here! You have been missed.

Very deeply meaningful! Your line breaks meant something. I especially like the last stanza. Indeed He knows all (and does forgive).

12. hypercryptical says:

So well done – a delight to read.
    Anna :o]

13. All is God with
    Love.. fear of
    God with
    Loveless
    Bless me
    now is GOD
    IS LOVE IS..:)

I really like the word breaks specially here:

God is all-
    knowing my heart’s desire

A deep meaningful share Linda ~

15. Star says:

Ooh, I love what you did here:
    “You are whole-
    some of what I need”

• Thanks. Writing like this was a stretch for me, but it was a good stretch.

• whimsygizmo says:

This was my favorite, also. Such an original thought, and line break.
      Really, each of these line breaks brings its own meaning to the short line, and then to the longer line below it, as well as the word brought together, combined. This is a beautiful piece, by the way. So much truth here.