The Cost

We’re jousting over at dVerse Poets Pub today as the tournament continues. The challenge is to take one line from either Brian’s or Claudia’s poem, posted there, and write a new poem with that one line included. I cheated a little and took the last two lines of Brian’s poem to create this one.

The Cost

I need no reminder
the cost.

I see it in the grieving faces
of the mourners as his funeral.

I see it in the furrowed brow
of a mother whose child is behind bars.

I see it on the network news
night after bloody night.

I see it in the mirror
looking at a life that could have been
but was delayed, hindered by disobedience and fear.

The cost of disobedience,
of “freedom” that isn’t truly free,
but a prison, as we become slaves to sin.

I need no reminder
the cost.
Still I’m reminded every day.

And then I recall the cost
He paid
to redeem what is lost.

To us the cost is consequences;
to Him the cost was to give His all
to save us from the ultimate cost.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Cost

1. Reading your comment, I applaud your bravery. We are our own enemies and our own saviors.

Your faith is clearly evident in this piece. Yes, the price that Christ paid was so much more than we can ever hope to deserve. Thankfully, though, He’s not asking us to earn salvation.

3. Well explicated, probing the price and the cost as the poem progresses – well constructed and well delivered. Took the line to the ultimate conclusion.

4. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

I like the way you keep deepening the meaning.

5. MarinaSofia says:

And you used Bjorn’s volta so efficaciously as well – a lovely turn right there, after a rather melancholy (albeit all too true) start.

Our freedom comes at such a cost. The repetition of lines, the message. Wonderful.

7. Kathy Reed says:

There is hope always, in spite of everything..I like the presentation of this.

8. The repetition of “I need no reminder…” is really good.

Yes, I do think we see the cost every day. There are reminders everywhere…. And yes, it is good that there is someone who can save us from the ultimate cost!

10. wolfsrosebud says:

it was the key to eternity… hope for the lost… a beautiful thing indeed

11. I see it in the mirror
    looking at a life that could have been
    but was delayed, hindered by disobedience and fear… this verse really spoke volumes. I’ve looked in that mirror before… wondering what could have been…

• That was the scariest verse to write (and publish), but I read recently that your writing should scare you a little. I guess that’s because that’s the writing that resonates with others. Peace, Linda

12. brian miller says:

the life delayed by disobedience and fear….oy…that one is sad…
    and the kid behind bars, ugh…hate to think that as it leaves the parent with so much questions….our life is not promised to be easy, and while grace is a beautiful thing — it does not rescue us from facing the consequences of our actions….

13. Gabriella says:

Freedom has deeper meaning than just the right to act as if we were the only person on earth. Otherwise the cost is high.

14. claudia says:

yep – he was well aware of the cost and honestly – i think i haven’t yet fully realized what i really has cost him…

15. So much becomes right if we just act right.. like the way you weaved it all together… wonderful