Pruning

The Twist and Shout — Meeting at the Bar prompt today at dVerse Poets Pub focuses on the volta at the end of a poem. I’ll let you check out Bjorn’s excellent description if you want to know more about it. I looked back over some old lessons at dVerse for a sonnet form to use and settled on the Terza Rima Sonnet from way back in May 2013. As usual, I probably didn’t get the meter right, but I liked the rhyme scheme for this prompt and the poem that I had already started earlier today.

Pruning

Jesus, intercede for me when I sin
If I loudly protest, make me mute
I must survive the Father’s discipline

Oh, Jesus, intercede when I bear fruit
Prune away enough of what is dead
But never my whole being to uproot

For my greater good I know You bled
To save me from a sinful wasted life
That I might bear abundant fruit instead

Seasons come filled with trials and strife
I cry out to You my God above
And still I must endure Your Pruner’s knife

Your pruning is a true act of love
As on my branches rests Your holy dove

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Pruning

1. Debbie says:

One of your best, Linda. Thank you for writing and sharing what He gives you to share. God bless!

2. Such a strong theme and nice transition, I particularly like how the rhyme falls.

3. Barry D. says:

Though i’m not very savvy with the classical forms, this feel technically sound and free-flowing at the same time… like a silent prayer.

like your request to be made mute if you protest to God, as well as the pruning imagery.

5. Gabriella says:

I like the image of pruning as an act of love. Thanks to the pruning we will hopefully be better people and more able to do His will.

6. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

I love the last line in particular.

7. claudia says:

yeah – his pruning is done with loads of love… it still hurts at times…

Despite our flaws, it is hoped we will bear abundant fruit. Hopefully there will not be TOO much to prune.

9. dkirkstokes says:

Pruning eliminates the flaws, and opens the path for new growth. Nice.

How very true! and the terza rhyme is wonderful. Just as we discipline our children because we love them and wish them to be better, so it is true God also disciplines us, His beloved children.

11. brian miller says:

we have to be careful asking for that pruning, because he will def give it to us…it is an act of love though…and one that will cause us to grow all the more…

12. enduring God’s discipline so you know his love… nice

13. Interesting poem. I love Terza Rima and the way this poem weaves, with an intensity of feeling building to the end. The turn comes in the penultimate stanza for me as it becomes close to the trunk and felt to the root. Well said.

14. I really like how the imagery changed in those subtle lines there at the end. From harsh to the love. Thank you for participating Linda.