Taming the Wild – A Poem

The poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today was to write about the WILD. My first thought was of a song by Johnny Cash called “The Beast in Me” (see video below). I thought of the line in that song, “God help the beast in me.” There is a little of the beast in all of us, and we need God to tame that beast, as we have no power to overcome the beast on our own.

Taming the Wild

Instead I must die
and You live in me

I’ll not know tameness
nor escape from this hell
unless the divine
in my heart does dwell

This entry was posted in Music, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Taming the Wild – A Poem

1. David King says:

This works for me. Lovely.

2. Debbie says:

Linda, I loved this so so much. One of your best . . .but I may say that about all of them. 😉 I think there is a destructive wild, a rebellious wild and then what some may call the good wild is the freedom we have in Him, that Spirit thing (as the Newsboys sing of it). That’s my take anyway . . .thank you!!!! God bless you and the Divine life inside!

3. Laurie Kolp says:

This is a very entertaining poem and reads well aloud.

4. I can understand the sense of feeling an enemy within, of working hopelessly against one’s self, of being in a hole and desperately needing a hand out. From what I know of Johnny Cash’s life, he struggled with this for years. It’s another way of seeing the wild, of something to be feared.

• Mark, Johnny Cash certainly did struggle for most of his life with his inner enemy, which manifested in drug addiction. But he also had great period of peace within. He is one of my favorite musical artists in large part because I can relate to his struggles and he was so honest about them in the end. Peace, Linda

5. Jerry says:

Our hearts contain that duel citizenship. The mystery…Christ in you, the hope of glory. There is a fine line between freedom and wildness…often hard to distinguish between the two…whether we need to or not.

6. zongrik says:

i’m going to disagree/be contrary and say that modern psychology has found way to take the wild in us all 😉

• You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that you are bold enough to share it. My own experience with modern psychology is that it did not give me peace, but rather stirred up the wild within me. It is only Christ who has ever brought me peace and meekness of spirit. Peace, Linda

7. Heaven says:

This is beautiful…specially the last verse:

I’ll not know tameness
    nor escape from this hell
    unless the divine
    in my heart does dwell

8. brian miller says:

i would agree as well there is a wild in all of us…i understand the use of tame and wild in this…i would say though that in many ways our interpretations of the gospels have more neutered us and a few more men (and women) could use some john the baptist or jesus wildness…

• Brian, Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I agree that there is another persective on wildness and tameness that flips which is good and which is bad. A little Jesus wildness – He certainly wasn’t tame by the standards of the Pharisees – would be good for all of us. Peace, Linda

9. kd sullivan says:

Ah…the struggle within. Thank God for His grace.

10. hmmmm… This was quite effective for me, reminiscent of Blake’s Songs of Experience, in a good way. There’s a literalness to the sentiments that you express that makes it real for me, which is what a lot if religious poetry often lacks. Good stuff!

• Charles, I’m not familiar with Blake, but will have to check it out. I appreciate your thoughtful comment. I write what I know, and that is my own need for Christ. I am grateful that it comes across as so real. Peace, Linda

11. claudia says:

there is a wild in us that shouldn’t be tamed i think but set free and there is another wild in us that needs careful observation as it is immensely powerful and highly dangerous… not always easy to know which is which…good thoughts here linda

• Claudia, I don’t disagree with that; there are two sides of every coin. I know from experience I am unable to tame that latter, highly dangerous wild on my own. Perhaps it isn’t possible to set the former wild free either, without Divine help. Hmmmm. I’ll have to think about that. Peace, Linda

P.S. Fixed your typo. 😉