Wedding Flowers

I gave the florist clear instructions
My wedding bouquet was to include
White roses — I am worthy of you
Blue carnations — yes, no, maybe?
White daisies — innocence

The perfect bouquet
To greet the guests
To adorn the altar

Alas, she got it wrong
Or maybe she was right
Instead of my favorite white daisies —
. . . . .The flowers of the first bouquet
. . . . .my love had ever given me —
My eyes were assaulted
By orange marigolds — despair, grief

Perhaps they were prophetic
Of the despair and grief
Lingering in my soul
Destined to mar many years
Of our otherwise perfect union

Perhaps they were merely
A florist’s mistake

_______________________________________

I missed the Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub on Tuesday dealing with flowers and their meanings. But when I read the list of flowers I was struck by the meanings of two in particular — the daisy and the marigold. It reminded me of my wedding day. Since I missed linking to that prompt, I’m sharing this for Open Link Night today instead.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Wedding Flowers

1. Oh, the uncanny belief in its significance can make it horrid if we imagine our future relying on that. And the doubt lingers on. Well-penned.
    -HA

2. annell4 says:

Perhaps it wasn’t a mistake? A mystery not to be solved.

3. Ayala says:

I hope it was a florist mistake. Sad .

Liked by 2 people

4. I’m really glad you could use the prompt. I was surprised marigolds had such a negative meaning, I must admit. I like this poem very much. The last lines make me think that the writer is shaking free of something negative.

5. orange marigolds— an odious error

6. rothpoetry says:

Your poem is a story in motion. Flowers to illustrate the whole story! They say everything happens for a reason. Perhaps your florist did get it right afterall!

Liked by 2 people

7. in different cultures, marigolds are used to celebrate marriage – and so, of course, it all depends on where one sits …. kind of like in cultures where wearing white is traditional for death and funerals … so in the end, I suppose, apart from perhaps a “clashing of colours” – then maybe, it really is what we make of it?

I really like how you’ve written this poem – and how you’ve managed to really capture the element of surprise at the “unwanted” discovery! And if all ends wells? Then a memory that now somehow, is part of the love story.

Liked by 2 people

• Thanks. It took me many years to be “okay” with marigolds even in my yard. But now I love them, though I prefer the red and yellow to the orange variety. 😉

• LOL – I can understand, in some ways – people have a love/hate affair with marigolds for some reason, even if not because of something like you’ve poemed. But then, I suppose, this could be said of most plants/flowers anyhow. And well, they are good plants to have around, help keep certain pesky pests away. 🙂

8. Frank Hubeny says:

I didn’t realize getting those bouquets right mattered so much until I read this prompt. Hopefully it was just a florist’s mistake.

Liked by 2 people

9. A poignant and piercing write! Who knew how prophetic a floral arrangement could be?

Liked by 2 people

10. Those last two lines wrap this up perfectly.

11. Glenn Buttkus says:

You rocked the prompt, mastering the language of flowers sublimely. It seems that some of the gang did not participate in Kim’s challenge on Tuesday. I really enjoyed the dip into Victorian Romanticism.

Liked by 2 people

• I’ve had a hard time participating lately because I haven’t had the time to also read other poems, and I’m not comfortable linking and not reading. But that prompt spoke to me. 🙂

12. Tee hee. Maybe I was your florist. I would LOVE orange marigolds in my wedding bouquet. 🙂

I very much enjoyed your poem.

13. Jo says:

Your poem is wonderful! I hope the florist made a mistake with our bouquet!

Liked by 2 people

14. I didn’t know marigolds represented despair and grief. You have a way with words and this writing is deeply heartfelt.

15. Tranature - quiet moments in nature says:

I too hope it was a florist’s mistake. Marigolds have so many different meanings depending on the country and culture – they often symbolise passion and creativity.

Liked by 3 people

16. sanaarizvi says:

This is so poignant… I had no idea orange marigolds signify despair and grief..

Liked by 2 people

17. I’m surprised to hear marigolds mean despair and grief. They’re great flowers for healing all sorts of inflammations. I too hope it was only a florist’s mistake.

Liked by 3 people

18. kim881 says:

I enjoyed your true story of the wrong/right bouquet, Linda!

Liked by 2 people

19. I love where you took this prompt… I sincerely hope that it was a florist mistake…

Liked by 2 people

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )