My English Garden

Is it really a walk if the farthest you get is your own backyard? I say yes, yes it is. And a beautiful walk indeed when lavender and candytuft, bleeding hearts and lilac trees, are in bloom, iris are promising color soon.

Besides, my little dog doesn’t like to go out to the yard alone so we stroll together across the deck, down the stairs, and onto the patio. I step gingerly into the grass to check out the blooms around the grassy area. I survey each plot of dirt, plucking “little damn-its” wherever they have sprung up since my last trip around the yard. Then I make my way up the winding paver pathway to the other set of stairs, plucking the feverfew daisies popping up between the stones. I love their tiny white flowers, but since my pup is allergic, and I love him more, I pluck each sprout resulting from the many seeds I sowed last year.

I hear a scratch at the back door. My indoor-loving cutie is ready to go in. I saunter up the short stairs to where he stands, impatiently waiting for me to open the door. The walk is over.

A spring ramble through
my lovely English garden
delivers God’s peace

_________________________________

My Haibun for dVerse Poets Pub today. Head on over and see what other walks dVerse poets have taken us on today.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to My English Garden

1. lynn__ says:

A blessing to have a lovely, peaceful retreat right out your back door!

2. I loved this walk with you, Linda. Your garden is lovely.

3. Your walk, shared here, gave me peace too.

4. hypercryptical says:

I love my little garden too, made (almost) maintenance free last year, and after (this) I potted some lavender plugs and the flowers are beginning to show their faces, dwarf fruit trees planted as bare roots are coming into leaf and birds are beginning to visit as spring finally comes, bringing with it the beauty of life, embracing the earth.
    Anna :o]

• Ours would be close to maintenance free, except for pulling the weeds and needing to deadhead certain flowers so they’ll bloom again. I love the latter task, the former not so much. Your garden sounds beautiful!

• hypercryptical says:

It is Linda compared to what it was before its revamp. That said it was beautiful before as nature had taken it back in its fold, but in this, it had become dangerous for me and I fell quite a few times and mowing the lawn (just a little one) took me forever – so something had to be done.
        I have done a little de-weeding too as dandelions and brambles are determined to live. I still need to cut back the dead stuff on the mature lavender and pots need replenishing as winter-hardy plants proved not to be, proving how cold it was these past four months or so.
        But now I can look out of the French doors knowing I will never have to mow the lawn again as there is a neat patch of quality Astroturf which is indistinguishable from the real stuff, bar the ‘crunch’ when one walks on it.
        Ah, the growth of spring and summer will never daunt me again!
        Kind regards
        Anna :o]

5. Goes to show God’s peace is never more than an arm’s length away. We need not venture far for it.

6. Ms. Nothing says:

Lovely picture of your garden painted with words ❤

7. Frank Hubeny says:

It is nice how you fit your walks to share them with your little dog.

8. I love that little walk… especially in spring when each day brings change. Our garden is more woodland and doesn’t require a lot of work

9. Yes, indeed, some of the best walks are short and intense. Very beautifully conveyed and lovely flowers. Poor pup, allergies seem so common these days.

10. kim881 says:

I agree with you, Linda, and love to walk around our garden, where there is always something new to discover. I love that your garden has traditional herbs and wildflowers, such as lavender,candytuft and feverfew – and that you have a cute dog to accompany you.
    ______________________

11. Mish says:

I would love a backyard like that and it does sound like a walk to me, especially with a canine cutie alongside.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )