My Memoir Monster

If my memoir is a monster
Taking on a life of its own
Does that make me Dr. Frankenstein
Madly nurturing what I’ve grown

Or am I more like Dr. Jekyll
Consumed by my Mr. Hyde
A raging egomaniac
Fueled by wanton pride

Maybe it’s Leviathan
The great monster of the sea
Tamed at last by God alone
Just like the sin in me

I wish it were a jigsaw puzzle
Of Bigfoot or old Nessie
With pieces that fit neatly together
Instead of being so messy

In the end it’s just my story
Dying to be told
One page at a time, not in rhyme
Hopefully before I am old

______________

Decided to share this for Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub today.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to My Memoir Monster

1. CLEvangelism says:

Love this. Glad I stumbled upon it.

2. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Keep going with it – and good luck!

3. One page at a time is good advice. If that fails then one word at a time might work 😉

4. lynn__ says:

At least you have fun rhyming poetry…cheering as you tame that memoir monster, Linda!

5. divalounger says:

One page at a time is the way–loved this reflection on that process for you

6. frankhubeny says:

Best wishes on completing your writing project. I suspect after working on it for so long it can appear to be a “monster”.

7. Iris says:

This is AWESOME!!!

8. Great and thought provoking.

One page at a time ~ Good luck on your writing Linda ~

10. thotpurge says:

Ha ha… one page at a time, not in rhyme.., absolutely! A fun poem.

11. When I first started to write it was a sort of memoir. When I got to writing about my first job I gave up. It sounded as though I was making it up.

12. erbiage says:

Oh Linda this is delightful. I too struggle, I think we all have a little animalishness in us, when it gets out of hand is when it becomes monsterous. Love to get those nudges!

13. Sanaa Rizvi says:

My goodness! Such a whirlwind of emotion your poem! xo

14. Bev says:

Evocative and entertaining!

15. Always follow your own heart and voice in this, with a gentle nudge from the universe.

Liked by 2 people

I’m not important or interesting enough to write a memoir. I imagine I will just turn to dust like all the other ordinary folks when I die. Good rhyme scheme in this!

Liked by 2 people

17. I would never be able to write my memoirs i think… maybe it’s the writing itself that’s the monster.

• The time and energy I’ve devoted to writing it is one of the main reasons I’ve been less active at dVerse over the last year. But sometimes a little poetry diversion is just what one needs.

18. Karen Foster says:

I’ve been writing a semi-memoir for ten years. I’ve threatened to “kill my baby” multiply times because it’s become the monster and Leviathan. However, I keep returning to God’s original nudge to “write it.”
    I’m learning the process of writing and walking in obedience to God’s nudge, can also be a Teacher! Lessons learned along the way.

• I’ve only been working on mine for about 2 years, although I wrote in my journal almost 20 years ago a desire to write it. The nudge of the Holy Spirit is strong and He will see it done. I pray He will help you finish yours as well.

19. Larry Who says:

As Nike says, “Just do it.”