Let’s Have Lamb

Let’s Have Lamb

I was thinking
Why don’t we have lamb
instead of bread for communion?

Since Jesus was the Lamb
of God who was slain
shouldn’t lamb represent His body?

I’m not complaining, mind you
I don’t even like lamb
And everyone loves bread

But it just seems odd
and somewhat illogical

Then again, the whole thing
often strikes me as a bit illogical
That God would love us enough
to die for us

Perhaps at that Last Supper
God, because He is omniscient,
could foresee
what a hassle it would be
to serve lamb with our wine
in church each week

And so we get bread
regular or gluten-free

For the Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub yesterday (continuing today), Kanzen asks us to write a poem about food.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Let’s Have Lamb

an interesting point here, LInda…although if we were to eat lamb, perhaps wine wouldn’t be the right thing to drink either…I suppose that Christ was a bit of a poet…and used the bread and wine as a wonderful metaphor.

2. Gabriella says:

This is certainly a question I have never asked myself. Very unusual and thought-provoking take on the prompt, Linda!

3. Glenn Buttkus says:

A fascinating chain of original thinking, this poem made me smile from top to bottom. Even though the premise is sound, even logical, the practical promulgation of serving lamb would lead to inter-religious bickering, & chaos of all sorts. Thanks for stopping by my site; glad your muses loosened up today.

4. Oh goodness.. bread and wine of life
    is shared innately.. no need for
    books.. announcements
    or special guru songs
    to sing this song
    of one life
    of
    love
    for all who
    come to the
    communion of nature
    as human and all other
    animal holy sacred loving life..:)

5. DELL CLOVER says:

I love this, Linda–sometimes I think like that too.

Well, lamb might indeed be a bit difficult. How would one know how many would attend the service to determine how much to prepare? Smiles. Indeed there are a lot of things in the whole Plan that might seem odd and illogical…but we take the leap of faith & accept that it is what it is.

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

An intriguing take on the prompt.. 🙂

I like to believe it is more symbolic than anything else ~ But food for thought, smiles ~

And I agree. he was the sacrificial Lamb and told us to eat the symbols of His body and blood. But please do leave as it is for it is though provoking and I think will lead to some most excellent conversations about that Lamb. Good job!

10. billgncs says:

lamb is one of my favorites, especially a spicy hot lamb curry. But as I read this I was reminded of Isiah’s “All flesh is grass”

11. X says:

That would be inconvenient – finding and cooking anough lamb for everyone. It would also be like sacrifice, which luckily has been made for us. And unleavened bread is easily accessible, anyone with flour and water can partake. The symbolism in the matzah as well, of the stripes. I think that it was decided very intentionally.

• I agree. After I wrote and posted this it occurred to me that serving lamb would be like continuing the sacrifices. I suspect the symbolism of His body, the command to “do this in remembrance of me” would be lost. But I think I’ll leave the poem as is. 🙂

12. You are right .. there is some sense of lacking logic here.. but I guess serving lamb could even be a little grizzly. Bread is probably a good idea.