Dying for Love

This poem was inspired by the July 31 poetry prompt in The Daily Poet: Day-by-Day Prompts for Your Writing Practice by Kelli Russell Agodon and Martha Silano. I have handy book on my Kindle and while I don’t look at it every day, every once in a while I decide to see what the prompt for the day is. Today’s prompt was titled “Gritty, Gutsy, and Groveling.” It called for writing in the style of Kim Addonizio, who I’ve never read, but is described as a poet who writes about “regrets and resignation, pleasure and pain.” The poem was to include at least 6 of the following 11 words: stilettos, hangover, whiskey, cigarette, dying, love, begging, naked, jail, dog, and hotel. I’ve italicized the ones I used in this biographical work written from the perspective of an old friend.

8/6/15 update: Shared for http://dversepoets.com/2015/08/06/openlinknight-153/. Head over and check out some other great poetry.

Dying for Love

She never wore stilettos—they weren’t her style
But I remember her red crop top and hip-hugger jeans

And that radiant smile that masked her tears
the pain and loneliness she never shared

All she wanted was love—but as cliché as it sounds
she looked for it in all the wrong places

Parties filled with cigarette smoke—a kegger up on Fuller Hill
At the bottom of a whiskey bottle shared with a mutual friend

If you could have seen her naked soul
You would have known she was dying, or at least not living

I caught up with her on Facebook the other day
Her profile pic still had that radiant smile

But the tears behind it were different now
Tears of peace and joy because she’d found

Forgiveness and real Love at last

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Dying for Love

1. Sean Michael says:

Good poem… dying for love… I know the feeling.

2. Real Love is the drug that cures most ills..
    Finding Real Love is often the challenge
    of ‘JOB’ for those who are abused by
    others.. no matter beauty.. money..
    or style.. the soUl
    is all there
    is.. and without
    spiRit expression of
    an emotional heArt..
    there can be no sOul
    WHO lives free for Now..:)

3. I love how this ended on a high note. I have the habit of looking for love in people I can’t have aka all the wrong places; i hope this journey ends on a high note as well.

4. sanaa rizvi says:

This is so beautiful & deep.
    Beautifully penned!

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

5. Well expressed..a complete picture filled with sympathy and grace.

So glad she is now living for love….sad that so many people go through this and how many do not survive.

7. scotthastiepoet says:

Lots to recognise here, Linda – truth in this tale too… Soulfully done… With Best Wishes Scott

8. MarinaSofia says:

Excellent writing to an unusual prompt, Linda, loved how you turned all those disparate items into a meaningful story.

9. I love the story in your poem – poignant but real.

10. Oh and maybe having looked in all the wrong places she might have been convinced she had found the right way.

11. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

Quite a story!

Well I am glad she found love and peace at last ~ Thanks for the share ~

13. kelly says:

We learn so much as we move beyond youth… and sometimes our mistakes are the best teacher…

14. So glad this had a happy ending–so often it doesn’t. And I’d recomment reading Adonnizio–I have a poetry how-to book by her. She also offers prompts in that book. Quite good. I don’t have a poetry only book though.

I am glad that she found that love she was seeking & hopefully left behind some of her earlier vices.