Peace on the Breeze

There is no scent like eucalyptus
to bring me back to days of yore

Summer sun sweetly gripped us
as down the road on bikes we tore

No Kookaburra graced our gum trees
though a hawk or two was seen

Smelling its scent wafting on the breeze
brings to mind a most peaceful scene

I settle now for its essential oil
to bring me to a stress-free place

Riding again without turmoil
feeling the sun’s warm embrace

_____________________________________

For Poetics today at dVerse Poets Pub, Grace is calling for poems about scents and the memories they invoke. The scent that evokes the strongest and best memories for me is that of the Eucalyptus tree, which grew along the main road a block from the house I grew up in down in Southern California.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Peace on the Breeze

1. lillian says:

Ah those trigger aromas! ๐Ÿ™‚ We do all have them….enjoying this read very much albeit very very late in moseying up to the bar!

2. Lovely piece, Linda!

3. Mish says:

A refreshing poem in flow and rhyme. Very peaceful. I do enjoy eucalyptus as an essential oil but you have made me quite curious about the real deal.

4. Sue Anderson says:

So evocative. Eucalyptus scent is in my childhood, too. We had many trees around us.

I love the smell of eucalyptus oil, but have never had the chance to smell the trees. Lovely remembrance!

6. You’ve piqued my curiosity with this, Linda! I have no sense of smell but I’ve heard of the strength of eucalyptus. Well done.

7. Ahh…very nice! I enjoy the scent of eucalyptus–and enjoyed reading how evocative it is for you. A lovely, nostalgic poem!

8. maria says:

Love the scent you’ve put into this poem! Hmm, hmm… *inhales*

9. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Smelling its scent wafting on the breeze
    brings to mind a most peaceful scene

Sigh… beautiful…!!!

10. Yess, that scent opens up all of our senses. Love this

11. C.C. says:

It’s nice to have a scent that can bring you, with such ease, to a stress-free place ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Victoria says:

Smiles–I grew up in the midst of eucalyptus trees in SoCal, too and they made their way into my poem as well. Even today, I have essential oils that I love to inhale as a reminder. Lovely

Live eucalyptus is indeed a lovely scent. Quite different from oils and bottles. I love the frosted leaves as well. form and scent in a beautiful bundle. This is an excellent poem and I love the rhymes you used to carry this along. Most enjoyable that biking on those roads of long ago.

The smells evokes peace and serenity for me too Linda.

Thanks for joining in and wishing you happy week.

15. Charley says:

The scents of our youth… so varied. I never smelled eucalyptus unless I had a really bad cold. A peaceful poem and quite enjoyable nevertheless!

16. jillys2016 says:

Hmm – and while I read your sent-filled poem, I am looking at the eucalyptus bouquet on my kitchen counter! Wonderful choice and wonderfully done, Linda!

17. Linda says:

I love the smell of eucalyptus–invigorating and warm at the same time. What a wonderful place this must be~

Liked by 2 people

18. Larry Who says:

Laugh Kookaburra laugh! Okay, already!

19. That’s a wonderful scent, that brings me to vacation spots on canary island… love the thought of it.