The Record

I love you, it’s true
But my love for you
Is less than ideal

Don’t tell me you don’t
Believe you I won’t
You keep your list too

We’re only human after all
And ever since the Fall
We’ve been tallying scores

We need His love divine
Covering yours and mine
So we might love true

———

It’s Open Link Night at dVerse Poets Pub today. The pub opens at noon my time and I’ll be linking this up then. Head on over and see what other poets are serving up.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Record

So true! Our forgiveness will never amount to much without His forgiveness flowing through us.

2. Charley says:

I totally get this poem! Great truths forged into a poem. Awesome!

3. Well said – probably true of every relationship among humans. Those of friendships too.

4. Truedessa says:

hmm, I wonder why we need these lists. To be free we need to stop keeping score.

5. I love the rhythm and the reveal.

Love the beat of the rhyming verses. We do keep score don’t we but hopefully it will become shorter and shorter as time and grace allows.

7. lynn__ says:

Let’s rip up the scorecards…together!

8. If we do not know Pure Love, we will never learn to love purely!Quite a lesson within this, Linda!

9. Tit for tat – so destructive, but such a human thing to do. Very well written.

10. MarinaSofia says:

Ha – I certainly know my mother kept score and would take out her long scroll of complaints about me and my Dad out whenever it suited her… You do an excellent job of describing ‘conditional love’ and its opposite.

11. Maybe what counts is not the score but trying our best…

Such a very true poem! We do need His love in order to fully love. Love the rhyme and rhythm of this, keeps it light and happy.

13. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Beautifully emotive write, Linda 🙂

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

14. jillys2016 says:

Wonderful the word play of this one!