It Was Murder

It was murder, pure and simple
He was an innocent man
the perfect spotless Lamb
and they murdered Him

If it weren’t for Nicodemus
and Joseph of Arimathea
His body would have been
devoured by a murder of crows

_______________________________________

The Poetics prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today is “for the birds.” De wants us to write poetry using one or more of the many names for flocks of birds. I decided to write about a murder, a murder of crows, that is.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to It Was Murder

1. SMiLes..
    God
    wastes
    no food..:)

2. Such an interesting way to think about the body of Christ!

• I had just gone to see Risen when I wrote this and had the visual of the crucified criminal who were just dumped into a pit and the birds were pecking on them, coupled with reading Revelation 19. Probably more info on inspiration than you wanted, but I’m avoiding other writing, so there you go. 🙂

• Thanks. We went to the Semana Santa procession in our local town. On the Saturday there is a very large dead Jesus being carried in great solemnity and devotion. And the Virgin Of Soledad in black with tears. Very Spanish in the desire to show the story and the Stations of the Cross.

3. Sabio Lantz says:

In parts of Tibet, the dead are chopped into pieces and fed to birds. And I have known wonderful, wonderful Tibetans who would want this for themselves and loved ones.

Ah, our images and fears of death vary highly from culture to culture.

4. felicity says:

I love where your mind went with this. This is very clever. And so true. Thank goodness for the faithful few.

Oh, you have spoken truth here, Linda! Thank goodness for Joseph of Arimathea.

6. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Shudder* at the image of being devoured by birds.
    A most powerful write Linda.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

Those crows would have devoured him, birds and men alike ~ A good metaphor for the Lenten season Linda ~

8. Murder upon murder.. To be devoured by black birds sounds sinister.

9. lynn__ says:

Our eyes are on Jesus this week…it was murder, of the worst kind.

10. whimsygizmo says:

Perfection. Especially for this week. Thank you so much, Linda.

11. Bodhirose says:

Oh what a thought…a body devoured by a murder of crows!