Betrayed, “Twas a Kiss

It’s Maundy Thursday, I decided today to join NaPoWriMo, and the lesson at dVerse today is to write a villanelle. At the convergence of these three things I wrote this poem:

Betrayed, “Twas a Kiss

Betrayed, ‘twas a kiss, the beginning of the end
Then all the others scattered in the night
Not knowing in three days You would ascend

He was among those You counted as a friend
There was a time his zeal burned so bright
Betrayed, ‘twas a kiss, the beginning of the end

Your followers to kneel in prayer You did commend
But they lacked Your wisdom and keen foresight
Not knowing in three days You would ascend

The ill-begotten silver Judas would never spend
Instead his life would become a terrible blight
Betrayed, ‘twas a kiss, the beginning of the end

Although his first impulse was to defend
Peter would hide his face from the light
Not knowing in three days You would ascend

Your promises they all failed to comprehend
Though all but one were redeemed in Your sight
Betrayed, ‘twas a kiss, the beginning of the end
Not knowing in three days You would ascend

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Betrayed, “Twas a Kiss

1. lynn__ says:

Timeless theme, fits the form, and well-written…thanks, Linda!

Liked by 2 people

2. Isn’t it always the way great people are miscomprehended?
    I don’t like Bertrand Russel for various reasons but he had a point which I would re-phrase as – though great minds are capable of thinking alike, lesser ones can be incapable of understanding.
    For instance – not everyone can comprehend quantum physics…
    (no that I’m comparing, but as a novice to the Easter origins, what I’m capable of seeing is a kinship between spirituality and philosophy).

3. Dusty Writes says:

Very moving, Linda.

Liked by 2 people

a wonderful villanelle telling of the Good Friday story. The beginning of the end was really just the beginning…as yes indeed, He rose again!

Liked by 2 people

5. zongrik says:

Betrayal is sad.

6. Truedessa says:

Betrayed by a kiss..I think your poem aced the prompt and it is a timely message.

Liked by 2 people

7. MarinaSofia says:

Perfect resonse for Easter, for the prompt… your villanelle sounds very mature, very smooth and well put together. (Not cobbled to fit the to form at all, if you know what I mean).

8. Gabriella says:

Very apt for the season. The form works well in your meaningful and touching poem.

Liked by 2 people

9. C.C. says:

Perfectly timed and the phrasing makes it sound like a tale told around a fire, an old story of shared history….fitting for this time of year.

10. Pingback: Poem / Poetry – “A Road Ravaged By Thoughts” | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish)

Just fitting for today’s Maundy Thursday Linda ~ I enjoy the refraining verse of: Betrayed, ‘twas a kiss, the beginning of the end ~

Thanks for joining in Linda and wishing you and your family Happy Easter ~

Liked by 2 people

12. Sherry Marr says:

A beautiful villanelle in keeping with the season. Beautifully done!

Liked by 2 people

This is really impressive, Linda! Totally meaningful and relevant for Maundy Thursday. There was no going back once that betrayal took place. Thankfully the plan continued to go forward.

Liked by 2 people

14. Debbie says:

Excellent , Linda! What a meaningful poem for us this Thursday! Thank you and God bless!

Liked by 2 people

The repeating lines are magnificent. How well you told this story with all of its ugly and all of its beautiful. You did an excellent write here. Blessed Easter to you and yours!

Liked by 2 people

16. Glenn Buttkus says:

Powerful, well-done triple threat, Linda, terrific response for all three prompts. I always like it when biblical themes are weaved into form prompts, or any kind of poetics. You rocked the dVerse prompt, nailing the form exquisitely. Thanks for stopping by my site.

Liked by 2 people