Hate Never Wins

Cain killed his brother Abel
with a rock because of hate
But in the end
Cain didn’t win

Hate never wins

Pontius Pilate killed Jesus
had him crucified and buried
But in the end
Pilate didn’t win

Hate never wins

Caligula killed for pleasure
was a truly evil emperor
But in the end
Caligula didn’t win

Hate never wins

Ivan the Terrible killed his own son
in a fit of characteristic rage
But in the end
Ivan didn’t win

Hate never wins

Hitler killed the Jews and more
in gas chambers and by firing squad
But in the end
Hitler didn’t win

Hate never wins

Saddam Hussein killed all opposition
reigning terror on the nation he led
But in the end
Hussein didn’t win

Hate never wins

Pol Pot killed a million Cambodians
by starvation, imprisonment, and murder
But in the end
Pol Pot didn’t win

Hate never wins

Francois Duvalier terrorized Haiti
assassinating many, leaving them poor
But in the end
Duvalier didn’t win

Hate never wins

Idi Amin killed fellow Ugandans
by torture and executions
But in the end
Amin didn’t win

Hate never wins

Islamic extremists kill Christians,
Hindus, Muslims who don’t agree with them
But in the end
They won’t win

Hate never wins

Even when the battle is lost
Hate never wins its war against love

The prompt over at dVerse Poets Pub today is to write a poem against terrorism. Head over and check out the other offerings by poets standing up for what is right.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Hate Never Wins

1. Prajakta says:

Hate never wins…. History has spoken to us time and again to teach us this lesson, yet some people simply never learn!

Thanks for reminding us of the fact that hate will not win. It’s easy to become discouraged and lose focus…but God is Love…and “greater is He that is in us than [those] who are in the world!”

3. Myrna says:

I’m with you. We must build a solidarity of love. It wins.

4. Hate may never win but oh the lasting harm it does. You list is eye opening.

5. I pray that your refrain is true. At the present time it seems all too unlikely, but we can only hope for the defeat of hatred.

6. Hate is a black hole that never ends.. love is a wave of way.. that always floats.. With love and hope floating together as wave.. hate is always defeated in ocean scan of way..:)

7. I think the perspective is needed.. The hate will never win. A hope we should keep at heart… Lovely use of repetition here.

8. Abhra says:

“Even when the battle is lost
    Hate never wins its war against love”

Beautifully done – and the repetition was intense. Thank you for joining.

9. billgncs says:

Yes, it doesn’t win – evil spreads because men accept it, it’s the pandemic of man.

You have made some good points, Linda, and have given some good examples. I think as you do that in the short run hate may sometimes seem to win, but in the long stretch it is love that wins out. We just have to keep loving…..and if enough of us do this, who knows…it just might change the world.

11. I like the refrain with the climax at the end. You’ve covered a lot of history, sad history in this. Unfortunately, I’m afraid it could be even longer.

12. Gabriella says:

This is a very good poem, Linda. I like both the message and the form. As we experience horror and fear, we can only pray and hope that ISIS will never win.

13. lynn__ says:

Historical proof that “hate never wins”…thanks for reminding us!

14. Susan says:

Excellent catalog, proof enough for fools to see. Make this into a song, sing out that Love wins everytime.

Such lovely simple words: in spite of the evil,love always wins. Excellent

16. Sherry Marr says:

Your poem is right on the money. The examples you give are excellent. Hate never wins.

Hate never wins, and this last line sums it up for me:
    Hate never wins the war against love

Peace ~

• As you were commenting I made one slight change to that line so now it’s “Hate never wins its war against love.” Because love doesn’t want a war; it’s hate that wants the war.