The Promise of Spring

Today is Thankful Thursday, and I think this is the first time I didn’t have my Thankful Thursday poem scheduled to post ahead of time. I’ve been having a hard time coming up with a poem for today or really feeling thankful at all this week. I know I have things to be thankful for, but the feeling is just not there. So I decided for my “poem” today I would just list some things I am thankful for, things that remind me of the promise of spring.

The Promise of Spring

The sun is shining in the clear blue sky
Reminds me of the promise of spring

The air is cold but it’s warm inside
Reminds me of the promise of spring

Flowers blooming on my office plant
Reminds me of the promise of spring

Church planning for the season of Lent
Reminds me of the promise of spring

My dog sniffs around the back yard
Reminds me of the promise of spring

A new semester for my son in school
Reminds me of the promise of spring

The calendar flips to a new month
Reminds me of the promise of spring

The truth of God’s Word and His faithfulness
Reminds me of the promise of spring

3/20/12 update: It is now truly the first day of spring, and yet here in the Pacific Northwest winter seems to be hanging on. Spring seems to have taken up residence in the eastern and central parts of the United States with no intention of heading out this way any time soon. But still I cling to the promise of spring (and summer after it), knowing they always come eventually. And so I decided to share this poem on dVerse Poets Pub for Open Link Night this first day of spring.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Promise of Spring

1. brian miller says:

smile…love all the life in your poem…and that def reminds me of spring…and the resurrection of life….

2. Spring is a time for renewal, for thanksgiving and for considering others. Your piece conveys that very well.

3. Wonderful…thanks for sharing!

4. Pat Hatt says:

And as that promise approaches the more happier I am that winter is all gone.

5. claudia says:

yep..the promise of spring…can be seen in so many different things around us…honestly…saw yesterday the first magnolia tree blooming and started to cry..the promise of spring…

6. Ann says:

Thanks, Linda
    It seems spring has come early this side of the world … the usual snowstorms and cold temperatures aren’t happening. Those who study the weather have no explanation …
    “The truth of God’s Word and His faithfulness
    Reminds me of the promise of spring”
    I am wondering how this change in season is fulfilling His words in Matthew. Better keep my head ‘up’ …Spring is truly coming!

Blessings
    ann

7. Linda says:

I’m thankful for dogs that sniff (and play, and wiggle, and give kisses) every single day! : )

It’s hard to be thankful when things are bad, and I’m inspired by your poem. Lately when I pray all I do is complain. Thanks for helping me see all my blessings. This is a sweet and humble poem, Linda. Thanks for sharing.

• Linda, I find myself complaining more than I’d like lately, too. I am just so glad that I started Thankful Thursday so that at least once a week I am forced to stop and take inventory, to remind myself of what I am thankful for. And I am in total agreement with being thankful for dogs that sniff, and play, and wiggle, and give kisses! I often feel sorry for people who don’t have a loveable little dog to come home to each day. 🙂 Peace, Linda

8. Eric Alagan says:

We are OUTRAGED by one priest’s dress code that prevents us from celebrating Mass. Please visit and lend your support at my blog. Thank you.

If I had in any way offended you with this comment/post, please delete with my sincere apologies. Thank you, Eric

• Eric, I am sorry for your struggles with this priest. Our Lord Jesus warned that we would have trouble in this world. But He has overcome. Even though this priest has said your wife cannot attend mass in certain dress, this priest cannot prevent you from worshipping God. Be careful that your response to this priest does not become a stumbling block for others to finding Christ. Peace, Linda

9. ~L says:

I’m thankful for you and how your beautiful poem brought a moment of peace and to take note what I’m thankful for:)

10. Debbie says:

Linda, this was really good and helped me to be thankful today too, for all that is yet coming, even when I don’t see it totally right now. God bless you as you continue to reach out to us and minister in His name, even in your pain. Love and prayers for healing, health and help for you. God bless you and hold you close today.

• Deb, I am thankful that I was able to pass on a spirit of thankfulness today, even when it was a struggle to find what I was thankful for. I am also thankful for your prayers. 🙂 Peace, Linda