Triggers, Triggers Everywhere

Tears spilled from my eyes
Gushed, really
quite uncontrollably
Anger the apparent trigger
He wouldn’t listen
Then I realize the real trigger
This series of events:
Writing of Dad’s death
Hearing of Aunt Dot’s passing
Trying to save a few bucks
on airline tickets

______________________________________________

De is running the bar at dVerse Poets Pub today and calling for us to write a 44-word Quadrille using the word “spill.” Come on over and join the fun!

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Triggers, Triggers Everywhere

1. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Sometimes we need to cry.

2. Bodhirose says:

A good cry can be very cathartic for sure. My condolences for the passing of your aunt, Linda. I’ve found many times that when I feel that I’ve moved passed something painful I can be triggered by something that brings all the pain back again. I guess it can be a long process to heal our hurts.

3. lynn__ says:

My sympathy in your loss, Linda. We had heavy rain today…like the sky was crying buckets for our world’s sad state of affairs.

4. Powerful, powerful, all the more so for being condensed into so few words. Yes, we all have triggers.

5. TEars
    heaL
    blood ties
    wHolELoVe..:)

6. lillian says:

One thing I’ve learned, we all have our own trigger words, trigger songs, trigger places…..some for the good, some not. I think one important thing is that we share our life with someone who understands those triggers — and that we work to understand others’.

7. Mish says:

Putting it all into this compact piece could be one little piece of healing.

8. I’m feeling with you, Linda. Know you’re not alone.

9. Patti says:

You are so right. There are triggers everywhere. I wish I could learn to duck.

It is indeed odd how such things will tear at us. My father’s twin sister died last april and I was amazed at how it triggered such grief in me, the grief again of my father’s death. I am so sorry to hear of this loss for you.

11. Candy says:

so much to trigger sorrow in our world

12. It seems there is so much loss right now, so many tears spilled.

13. Sabio Lantz says:

oh, that tears at the heart

14. Raivenne says:

It’s been a series of the matri/patriarch spilling into the other side for so many of us of late. And as you say “Yet life goes on”

Condolences and sorry to hear the sad news ~ Triggers are indeed everywhere and can overwhelm us~

16. whimsygizmo says:

I am so sorry for your loss, Linda. It all adds up, doesn’t it? Sending love and good thoughts.

17. Glenn Buttkus says:

Death keeps us on our emotional toes, as ragged circumstances require our recruitment. Lots of dark poetics out here today. Thanks for the in depth thoughts you left at my site; Hugs.

18. Oh I am so sorry for you… another death… yes it seems that spill gives a lot of sadness this week.

• The odd thing is I wasn’t really that close to my aunt. But she is the last of my dad’s siblings, the last of that generation in my family. Yet life goes on.

• I have also mourned the passing of someone I didn’t think was all that close to me, which may say more than I knew about the importance of the “web” of family that helps us understand who we are as persons, and helps feel known, connected, guided by family mores–even when we are not aware.
        And I think I get it about missing a critical connection because I focused on the wrong thing. 😕
        The precious thing is that we can pick out and savor the good.