My Road

My road began bright and cheery
Birds sang sweet, lovely flowers bloomed
It would always be I assumed
Then it became dark and dreary
With each step I grew more weary
When I tried to walk all alone
Plagued by despair of being known
Oh grace, you called me back to you
Once again the skies are deep blue
Seeds of hope and forgiveness sown

____________________________________

Today’s poem is a décima for dVerse Poets Pub Meeting the Bar today. (I cheated and went to Bjorn’s blog to see what the prompt was going to be before it is live at dVerse in my time zone). I’ll be linking at dVerse at noon PST. Head over there this afternoon to see what other décimas the pub folks have to offer.

This is also my Day 21 post for NaPoWriMo.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to My Road

1. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

A lovely working of this form.

2. lynn__ says:

Lovely decima, Linda…I think it should be set to music! What instrument(s) would you choose?

There is despair in trying to walk alone. Nicely written!
    PS. I often “cheat” by going to Björn’s blog for a head start too!

4. kim881 says:

Beautiful 🙂

5. whimsygizmo says:

Oh, Linda. This leaves me breathless:
    “Oh grace, you called me back to you”
    A beautiful prayer of thanksgiving.

6. Myrna says:

You summed up you life in ten lines and said so much truth. Lovely.

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

This is so profound! Lovely work on the decima 🙂

8. That was beautiful. A melody ran straight through it. Well done.

9. lillian says:

bright and cheery….dark and dreary….alone….despair….and you bring us to “Seeds of hope and forgiveness sown ”
    Beautiful journey this decima is.

10. Bodhirose says:

I never did catch on to the “peeking” routine either, Linda, it’s only been since I became a team member and it was mentioned. Oh well. Anyway, I love your decima and your share of how life can seem to get the better of us and then light will show once more to cheer us on.

Thanks for giving it a go!

11. Glenn Buttkus says:

I so agree with Bjorn, who writes in an earlier time zone. I too, take a peek at Bjorn or Mary to find out what’s coming up. I prefer to write poetry in the morning, & take care of other things in the afternoon, so these advance peeks are/have been essential for me ( & yes, I used to hop onto Brian’s & Claudia’s sites before–& still miss them dearly). Of course, one can be led astray by misinterpreting the other poet’s effort, but hey, that just spices up the learning curve, right?

Indeed your poem speaks the truth. One is fortunate when one goes through those difficult times that one is called back through that ever abundant grace.

13. I love the poem Linda! Blessings!

14. Ha.. it’s not cheating, it’s a long tradition of dVerse of people posting early to give people a chance to be early… I used to go to Claudia’s or Brian’s blog and check it out… I love how well you have executed your decima, and the ups and down of coming back to joy…