Giving up Fear

Over at dVerse Poets Pub today, Abhra has challenged us to write letter poems. I had someone specific in mind when I wrote this, but there are so many people I know who live with unnecessary fear and anxiety that it could easily be an open letter to them all. The final stanza is a reference to Philippians 4:6-7.

Giving up Fear

I learned of your anxiety
This news I’m sad to hear
I long ago was in your shoes
Crippled by my fear

You daren’t go out on the town
Lest the fear cause you to take cover
Even to celebrate with friends
Is a challenge, you discover

Yet “Do not fear” the Lord has said
He longs to keep you near
Trust in Him to care for you
Give to Him every fear

With petition and thanksgiving
Each care and worry release
As I have experienced so can you
He’ll grant you abundant peace

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Giving up Fear

1. othermary says:

Fear – that’s a hard one. I think many of us could use a reminder letter like yours now and then. Very nice.

2. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) says:

It is indeed sad that many live lives crippled by fear.

3. Dusty Writes says:

Wonderful poem–fears are always a challenge; some let go more easily than others.

4. Fear is the monster that kills all of love and human connection..

And the longer one goes without connecting.. the harder that becomes..

as lose or use it.. applies in all matters human and feeling

in connection too..:)

5. Debbie says:

Thank you for helping us give Him our fears and cares this day! God bless you!

6. MarinaSofia says:

So many fears, you are right: most of them we do not allow ourselves to acknowledge even to ourselves. What’s a life lived in fear but a life half lived? Wise words, Linda.

7. C.C. says:

Nice rhythm in this.

8. Prajakta says:

A thoughtful piece full of wisdom. Thank you for sharing this.

9. Fear is so debilitating and your letter is filled with compassion – really lovely

10. wolfsrosebud says:

the struggle in this was clear

11. A lovely and encouraging piece, Linda.

12. Gabriella says:

Fear prevents us from doing so many things and yet I think a lot of people do not know how to get rid of theirs. And trusting is not always easy, at least all the time.

Your poem is filled with good advice, Linda. One does need to find Someone to trust when we are filled with anxiety!

It is hard to learn to live without fear but living without fear is like living without hope. I’d rather have the hope! Excellent write.

15. Abhra says:

Giving up fear isn’t easy, perhaps the greatest conquest one can have. Well written, Linda .

16. A wise person once told me that fear is the greatest of sins–I suppose that could be true if you think of Judas and others who gave up hope.