Like a Snowflake – A 55 Poem

The Form for All prompt at dVerse Poets Pub today, with Sam Peralta once again at the helm, is to write a poem of exatly 55 words. There’s always time for 55 words.  So here’s my Christmas 55.

Like a Snowflake

Like a single snowflake floating down from above
so like the others, but each unique, so the Son of God
came down to earth from heaven above
like us a tiny baby that grew into a man of God
but quite unique, one of a kind, a blessed gift of love
Immanuel, God with us

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Like a Snowflake – A 55 Poem

1. Such a treasure of a poem, just perfect for the season.

2. So soft, so serene, and so beautifully appropriate for the season. What a wonderful poem to share.

3. Susan Chast says:

Wonderful set of images–snowflake among many, baby among many, Jesus–people should be very careful of who and what they abuse. Best yet, work through love.

4. Very sweet and calm and marked by the religious theme… a splendid read. 🙂
    -HA

5. Margaret says:

I like Bjorn’s comment. I agree. Lovely.

6. Debbie says:

I’m so glad that you had time to do a 55 word Christmas poem! And such a great one at that! God bless you!

7. Abhra Pal says:

Simply and truly beautiful

8. What you write is challenging. Christ is the vine, remember? And we are branches. The stem is not a branch. Christ was God, in the being of a man. He was not a star among others, as people today perceive the sun as a star.

• What you say is true, which is why I didn’t use a metaphor of vines and branches in my poem. He was fully man, just as we are, and so we are similar just as each snowflake is similar to others. But He was unique because though He was fully man, He was also fully God. Peace, Linda

9. wolfsrosebud says:

thanks for sharing this

10. The snowflake metaphor is wonderful…we could all use a good dose of love.

11. Laurie Kolp says:

Beautiful!

12. Gabriella says:

I like the analogy between the unique snowflake and Jesus, Linda! A very good Christmas poem indeed!

13. Glenn Buttkus says:

We all could do with a dose of Christ consciousness right about now, as the new pope is going to be allowed to visit Jerusalem, and the Middle East jahidists plot holiday mayhem; impressive use of the prompt; thanks.

14. claudia says:

nice… unique and a blessing… and covering what’s grey with white.. lots of good symbolism in the images you chose..

15. brian miller says:

smiles…nice retelling of the christmas story…i rather like the allusion to the snow flake in this as well…and def unique…and def a gift…

16. Oh a 55 word Christmas hymn.. that’s very impressive. And the imagery of the snowflake is so likeable…

He definitely WAS one of a kind, never to be duplicated, and a blessed gift of love indeed.